Nodal analysis with parallel resistors

When working with nodal analysis, it is valid to combine parallel resistors into one equivalent resistor. This can simplify the calculations and make it easier to determine the unknown voltage.
eurekameh
152zwi9.png

I'm trying to determine v,oc using nodal analysis. I have labeled the two node voltages at the top v,1 and v,2. When doing the KCL equation for node voltage 2, I run into the 1.1 kohm and 2.3 kohm parallel combination. Is it valid if I just combine these parallel resistors into one resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
eurekameh said:
152zwi9.png

I'm trying to determine v,oc using nodal analysis. I have labeled the two node voltages at the top v,1 and v,2. When doing the KCL equation for node voltage 2, I run into the 1.1 kohm and 2.3 kohm parallel combination. Is it valid if I just combine these parallel resistors into one resistor?

Sure.

Related to Nodal analysis with parallel resistors

1. How do I apply nodal analysis to a circuit with parallel resistors?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze and solve circuits by considering the voltage at each node (junction) in the circuit. To apply nodal analysis to a circuit with parallel resistors, you first need to identify the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for each node, setting the sum of currents entering and leaving the node equal to zero. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

2. Can I use nodal analysis to find the currents in parallel resistors?

No, nodal analysis is used to find the voltages at each node in a circuit. To find the currents in parallel resistors, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and the fact that the voltage across parallel resistors is the same to calculate the individual currents.

3. What is the advantage of using nodal analysis for circuits with parallel resistors?

The advantage of using nodal analysis for circuits with parallel resistors is that it simplifies the analysis process by reducing the number of unknown variables. Instead of having to calculate the current through each resistor, nodal analysis allows you to directly find the voltage at each node, which can then be used to calculate the current in each branch of the parallel resistors.

4. Can I use nodal analysis for circuits with only parallel resistors?

No, nodal analysis requires a mix of series and parallel resistors in a circuit in order to accurately solve for the voltages at each node. If a circuit only contains parallel resistors, then you can use other methods such as the parallel equivalent resistance formula or voltage division to analyze the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis with parallel resistors?

One limitation of using nodal analysis with parallel resistors is that it can become more complex and time-consuming as the number of parallel resistors in a circuit increases. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods such as the parallel equivalent resistance formula or voltage division to analyze the circuit. Additionally, nodal analysis assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect real-world circuits with non-ideal components.

Back