Noether theorems, the Lagrangian and energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of energy, specifically mentioning the Lagrangian and Noether. One person questions if the Lagrangian is too limited as it only refers to ideal situations involving translational kinetic energy and potential energy. The other person clarifies that the Lagrangian can be applied to various forms of energy, including electromagnetic and gravitational energy. They also mention the possibility of using the Lagrangian to represent energy conversion reactions, but note that it is not commonly done in practice.
Dadface
I have read in different places that an up to date definition of energy refers to the Lagrangian and Noether. But isn't the Lagrangian too limited because it refers to an ideal situation involving translational KE and to PE only? I would have thought that a good definition of energy would be relevant to all forms of energy...electrical, chemical, radiant, heat etc.

I think I may be missing something. If so can somebody tell me what it is please?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
But isn't the Lagrangian too limited because it refers to an ideal situation involving translational KE and to PE only?
The Lagrangian is not limited in this way. You can write Lagrangians for EM, gravity, and a large number of other theories.

Likes vanhees71 and Dadface
Thank you Dale. But does it apply to every form of energy, for example is it possible to write a Lagrangian which represents the energy conversion reactions occurring during photosynthesis?

It is possible in principle. Chemical energy is just EM energy. I don't think that is ever done in practice, but I am not a chemist.

Last edited:
Likes Dadface
Thanks Dale.

FAQ: Noether theorems, the Lagrangian and energy

1. What are Noether theorems?

Noether theorems are a set of mathematical theorems that describe the relationship between symmetries in a physical system and the resulting conservation laws. They were first formulated by German mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century.

2. How are Noether theorems related to the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. Noether's first theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity that is derived from the Lagrangian.

3. What is the role of energy in Noether theorems?

Noether's second theorem states that for every time translation symmetry in a system, there exists a conserved quantity that is related to energy. This means that energy is a fundamental quantity in physics that is conserved due to the symmetries of a system.

4. Can Noether's theorems be applied to any physical system?

Yes, Noether's theorems are applicable to any physical system that can be described by a Lagrangian. This includes classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theories.

5. How have Noether's theorems impacted the field of physics?

Noether's theorems have had a profound impact on the field of physics, as they have provided a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of physical systems. They have also led to important developments in the fields of particle physics and cosmology.