Noise level at high-rise buildings

• I
  • Thread starter deRoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the noise level at a high rise building if one was to leave the window open in a balcony on the 80th floor and above in an apartment on a skyscraper built in the city center of a large city like New York or Seoul, with all this car traffic underneath with their horns and sirens blowing full blast all day would be very loud.
deRoy
What is the noise level at a high rise building if one was supposed to leave the window open in a balcony on the 80-th floor and above in an apartment on a skyscraper built in the city center of a large city like New York or Seoul, with all this car traffic underneath with their horns and sirens blowing full blast all day?

I mean, I can hear the engine of a small airplane in the sky when it's flying 1000 meters above me very loud, so I guess it must be the same when I am above ground at 500 m and the traffic is below me.

I must conclude that I could not tolerate so much noise. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some data. Only you can say what you can stand.
https://www.acoustics.asn.au/conference_proceedings/AAS2004/ACOUSTIC/PDF/AUTHOR/AC040085.PDF said:
slask.png
The resolution is not the best. Follow the link to see it full resolution.

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,235
deRoy said:
What is the noise level at a high rise building if one was supposed to leave the window open in a balcony on the 80-th floor and above in an apartment on a skyscraper built in the city center of a large city like New York or Seoul, with all this car traffic underneath with their horns and sirens blowing full blast all day?

I mean, I can hear the engine of a small airplane in the sky when it's flying 1000 meters above me very loud, so I guess it must be the same when I am above ground at 500 m and the traffic is below me.

I must conclude that I could not tolerate so much noise. Am I right?
You live in a skyscraper where you can open a window? Where?

berkeman said:
You live in a skyscraper where you can open a window? Where?
Oh, I guess there will be many apartments on the 75th floor and above in Miami or Hong Kong say, complete with balconies to lounge outside.

I wish I were living in one but no! I am just asking what's the situation with all this traffic and city noise below your feet.

Related to Noise level at high-rise buildings

1. What impact does the surrounding environment have on the noise level at high-rise buildings?

The surrounding environment can greatly impact the noise level at high-rise buildings. Factors such as nearby traffic, construction sites, and proximity to airports or train tracks can contribute to higher noise levels.

2. How does building design affect noise levels in high-rise buildings?

The design of a building can greatly impact its noise levels. Building materials, such as thicker walls and soundproof windows, can help reduce noise levels. Additionally, the layout and placement of rooms within a building can also affect the amount of noise that is transmitted between them.

3. What are some common sources of noise in high-rise buildings?

Some common sources of noise in high-rise buildings include heating and cooling systems, elevators, and shared amenities such as gyms or pools. Other sources may include neighbors, nearby construction, and street noise.

4. How can noise levels in high-rise buildings be measured and monitored?

Noise levels in high-rise buildings can be measured and monitored using specialized equipment, such as sound level meters. These devices measure the sound pressure level in decibels (dB) and can be used to track noise levels over time and identify any areas of concern.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for noise levels in high-rise buildings?

Yes, there are often regulations and guidelines in place for noise levels in high-rise buildings. These may vary by location and can include building codes, noise ordinances, and guidelines set by local or national health organizations. It is important for building owners and occupants to be aware of these regulations and take steps to ensure compliance.

Back