Noise voltage spectral density from datasheet

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the noise voltage and current spectral density for a particular component using a datasheet. The speaker is unsure how to find the values for a gain of 100 and different frequencies. Another person suggests looking at the "Voltage noise density vs. frequency" and "Current noise density vs. frequency" graphs in the datasheet. The speaker is still struggling and mentions that the notes only cover theory, not this specific problem. The other person provides additional information, mentioning that the gain has to be specified even for rti noise for an instrumentation amplifier.
melanie707
Having found a datasheet for a particular component,
I have to find the noise voltage and current spectral density.
In the datasheet I have values like RTI for a gain of 1000 and Rs=0, but I need to find values for when gain G=100 and for different values of frequency.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Would really appreciate any help!

Melanie

Physics news on Phys.org
melanie707 said:
Having found a datasheet for a particular component,
I have to find the noise voltage and current spectral density.
In the datasheet I have values like RTI for a gain of 1000 and Rs=0, but I need to find values for when gain G=100 and for different values of frequency.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Would really appreciate any help!

Melanie

What is "RTI"? Not a standard abbreviation.

rude man said:
What is "RTI"? Not a standard abbreviation.
Relative to input

This problem needs to be better defined.

If the noise data is rti then the gain is immaterial by definition - but we should still see the circuit and the data. Which device is it so we can look it up ourselves.

rude man said:
This problem needs to be better defined.

If the noise data is rti then the gain is immaterial by definition - but we should still see the circuit and the data. Which device is it so we can look it up ourselves.

Thanks rude man,

What we are actually told to do is:
"For Rs = 0 and gain =100, enter the input noise voltage density and input noise current density for the following frequencies:
10 Hz 100 Hz 1 kHz 10 kHz 100 kHz 1 MHz
(Assume that the manufacturers’ input noise data are for Rs = 0; in many cases, this will be stated explicitly.)"
So I found a datasheet like this, (we are supposed to look at 4)
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/70328/LINER/LT1168.html
but I don't know how to find these values :/. Really stuck. Our notes cover theory, but nothing on this. I've spent hours and I am clueless.

Look at the "Voltage noise density (vnd) vs. frequency" graph in your data sheet, then just read off the vnd from the graph for the different frequencies.

Same for the "Current noise density vs. frequency" graph.

I will add that this is an instrumentation amplifier which is really a concatenation of two amplifiers. For low gains the second amplifier adds significant noise to the output while for high gains the first amplifier noise predominates. Which is why the gain has to be specified even for rti noise, unlike for an op amp.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Noise voltage spectral density from datasheet

1. What is noise voltage spectral density and why is it important?

Noise voltage spectral density, also known as voltage noise density, is a measure of the amount of noise present in an electronic circuit over a range of frequencies. It is important because it allows engineers and scientists to understand the level of noise in a circuit and how it may affect the performance of the device.

2. How is noise voltage spectral density measured?

Noise voltage spectral density is typically measured using specialized equipment such as a spectrum analyzer. The device under test is connected to the spectrum analyzer and the noise voltage is measured at different frequencies to create a noise voltage spectral density plot.

3. What factors can affect the noise voltage spectral density?

The noise voltage spectral density can be affected by a variety of factors such as temperature, component quality, and circuit design. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing the noise voltage spectral density of a device.

4. Can the noise voltage spectral density be reduced?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to reduce the noise voltage spectral density in a circuit. These include using high-quality components, reducing temperature fluctuations, and implementing noise-reducing circuit designs.

5. How does noise voltage spectral density relate to the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)?

The noise voltage spectral density is directly related to the SNR, as it is a measure of the noise present in a circuit. A lower noise voltage spectral density results in a higher SNR, meaning that the signal is stronger relative to the noise and the device is able to perform more accurately.