Noisy Wave Pattern Between Round Objects Behind a Light

• Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Wave
In summary, the conversation suggests that holding two small rounded quartz stones together in front of the eye with light shining on them from the other direction creates a distinct, black, noisy waveform. This is a diffraction effect, similar to the one seen when looking through the gaps between the knuckles of fingers. Looking at the stones from a distance rather than directly results in a better effect. The illumination across the slit can be seen as parallel lines or a more complex image, depending on the spacing between the two stones.
Jarvis323
I noticed that if I hold two small rounded quartz stones together in front of my eye, with light shining on them from the other direction, I see what looks like a very distinct, black, noisy waveform between them. Does anyone know the detsals about wy this happens?

Science news on Phys.org
This sounds like a diffraction effect. You can get the same result in the gaps between the knuckles of your fingers. The trick is to look in there distance and not directly at your fingers. That gives a better effect. This hyper physics link gives an image of the illumination across the slit. With a slit, this will actually appear as a set of parallel lines. For two balls, the spacing varies so the lines will not be parallel and the image is more complicated.

Likes Jarvis323

FAQ: Noisy Wave Pattern Between Round Objects Behind a Light

1. What causes the noisy wave pattern between round objects behind a light?

The noisy wave pattern is caused by the interference of light waves. When light passes through or around objects, it can create a diffraction pattern that appears as a series of bright and dark bands.

2. Why do the round objects behind the light affect the wave pattern?

The round objects act as obstacles for the light waves, causing them to diffract and interfere with each other. This interference creates the distinct pattern that we see.

3. Can the distance between the round objects and the light affect the wave pattern?

Yes, the distance between the objects and the light can affect the wave pattern. As the distance increases, the pattern may become less defined or disappear entirely.

4. Is this phenomenon only seen with round objects?

No, this phenomenon can be seen with any type of object. However, the shape and size of the object can affect the specific pattern that is created.

5. How is the noisy wave pattern useful in science?

The noisy wave pattern is useful in studying light and its properties. It can also be used in diffraction experiments to determine the size and shape of objects. Additionally, it has practical applications in technologies such as microscopy and laser diffraction.

Back