Non-commutative geometry in ST?

• Thread starter eigenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the use of Noncommutative Geometry (NCG) plays a significant role in string theory, particularly in describing the coordinates of D-branes. This connection between matrices and geometry is further explored in the book "D-branes" by Victor Johnson.
eigenguy
I know that the spacetime position coordinates of D-branes become non-commuting matrices for coincident D-branes, but I'm not sure how or if this is related to the employment of NCG in ST.

Physics news on Phys.org
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?

Originally posted by JasonJo
stop...

anyway, if noncommutative matrices can describe the coordinates of D branes, i am sure it would make sense that NGC plays a significant role in string theory. matrices --> geometry connection?

That's what I think too. But I was trying to decipher a paper by edward witten and near as I could tell, this use of NCG was distinctly different from the D-brane thing and had something to do with the antisymmetric B-field in the massless bosonic sector. Anyway, I just ordered a copy of "D-branes" by victor johnson and it apparently includes a more accessable discussion of it. I guess I'll see.

Related to Non-commutative geometry in ST?

What is non-commutative geometry in string theory?

Non-commutative geometry is a mathematical framework that extends traditional geometry to include non-commutative algebra. In string theory, this framework is used to describe the behavior of strings in a space-time that is not necessarily commutative.

How does non-commutative geometry relate to string theory?

Non-commutative geometry is an essential tool in string theory because it allows for the description of space-time at a quantum level. It also helps to resolve certain mathematical inconsistencies in string theory, making it a crucial aspect of the theory.

What are the main applications of non-commutative geometry in string theory?

Non-commutative geometry has many applications in string theory, including the study of dualities between different string theories, the formulation of non-perturbative aspects of string theory, and the description of black holes and their entropy.

What are the challenges of using non-commutative geometry in string theory?

One of the main challenges of using non-commutative geometry in string theory is its complexity and abstract nature. It requires a deep understanding of both fields and can be difficult to apply in certain situations. Additionally, there is still ongoing research to fully understand the implications of non-commutative geometry in string theory.

Are there any experimental tests for non-commutative geometry in string theory?

Currently, there are no direct experimental tests for non-commutative geometry in string theory. However, some predictions of the theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, may be testable in future experiments. Additionally, non-commutative geometry has been successfully applied in other areas of physics, providing indirect evidence for its validity in string theory.