Non-constant acceleration of a race car from rest

In summary, the problem involves a car attempting to cover 440 yd in the shortest possible time. The world record for this race is 5.637 seconds, with a final speed of 250.69 mi/h at the 440 yd mark. Calculations show that the average acceleration for the car is 65.23 ft/s^2, but further analysis using the constant acceleration equation shows that the car would have had to move with an acceleration of 183.84 ft/s^2 in order to reach the final speed in the given time. This contradicts the given data, proving that the acceleration was not constant. This can be further confirmed by applying the equations for constant acceleration, which result in a final speed of
haroldwershow

Homework Statement

"In a drag race a car starts at rest and attempts to cover 440 yd in the shortest possible time. The world record is 5.637s; the final speed was 250.69 mi/h at the 440 yd mark"

a)What was the average acceleration?
b)Prove that the car did not move with constant acceleration
c)What would have been the final speed if the car had moved with constant acceleration so as to reach 440 yd in 5.637 s?

V_initial: 0 ft/s V_final: 367.68 ft/s T: 5.637 s Distance: 1320 ft

Homework Equations

For a) avg a = ΔV / Δt
for b) constant a = (V_initial + V_final) / 2
for c) V_final = V_initial + a_constant * time

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Avg a = 65.23 ft/s^2 No problems here

b) Using the constant acceleration equation above (which I am somewhat dubious of), a_constant = 183.84 ft / s^2. Intuitively, I believe that the average acceleration would have to be equal to the constant acceleration if this was indeed a case of constant acceleration. I'm not quite sure i can defend that logically.

c) Using the constant acceleration calculated above, V_final = 1036 ft/s, which is clearly way too high (V_final was given as 367.68 ft/s). So I think perhaps this high velocity answer proves part b.

How do I logically explain part b? Am I correct in using the constant acceleration equation described above? Or is there a totally different way to address this problem?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty sure I am correct in saying that the equations you state,
For a) avg a = ΔV / Δt
for c) V_final = V_initial + a_constant * time
are only valid if the acceleration is constant.
If the acceleration is not constant,. then this becomes a calculus problem.

haroldwershow said:
For a) avg a = ΔV / Δt
Yes, that's valid regardless of whether accn is constant.
That can't be what you mean. (It's dimensionally wrong for a start.) Maybe you meant: for constant a, avg v = (V_initial + V_final) / 2. That is true, but not the most helpful. Do you know an equation, valid for constant accn, that relates accn, distance, and initial and final speeds?

haroldwershow said:
b) V_average = (V_initial + V_final) / 2
c) V_final = V_initial + a * Δt
Combine b and c:

V_average = (V_initial + (V_initial + a Δt) / 2 = V_initial + 1/2 a Δt

then distance:

distance = V_average Δt = V_initial Δt + 1/2 a Δt^2

for this problem V_initial = 0.

Thanks for the responses!

#2 The problem statement seems to imply that the acceleration is not constant. This is why I am finding it tricky; all the equations I know are valid for constant acceleration. This is a calculus based course. I'm familiar with the basic derivative relationships between distance, velocity and acceleration. How might I use them for this problem?

#3 You are right, " for b) constant a = (V_initial + V_final) / 2 " is dimensionally incorrect, it should be Avg V = (V_initial + V_final) / 2. This appears to only be valid for constant acceleration. Which brings me back to my original problem - this is a case of non-constant acceleration. So the constant acceleration questions appear to be invalid.

#4 I am given distance in the initial information. I am trying to prove that the acceleration is not constant.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

haroldwershow said:
Thanks for the responses!

#2 The problem statement seems to imply that the acceleration is not constant. This is why I am finding it tricky; all the equations I know are valid for constant acceleration. This is a calculus based course. I'm familiar with the basic derivative relationships between distance, velocity and acceleration. How might I use them for this problem?

#3 You are right, " for b) constant a = (V_initial + V_final) / 2 " is dimensionally incorrect, it should be Avg V = (V_initial + V_final) / 2. This appears to only be valid for constant acceleration. Which brings me back to my original problem - this is a case of non-constant acceleration. So the constant acceleration questions appear to be invalid.

#4 I am given distance in the initial information. I am trying to prove that the acceleration is not constant.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
You seem to be missing the key piece of logic. If you apply formulae which are valid when acceleration is constant and you arrive at a contradiction in the provided data, then you will have proved acceleration is not constant.
So I ask again: Do you know an equation, valid for constant accn, that relates accn, distance, and initial and final speeds?

FAQ: Non-constant acceleration of a race car from rest

1. What causes a race car to accelerate from rest?

The acceleration of a race car from rest is caused by the application of a force, such as the engine power from the car's motor. As the force is applied, it causes the car to move and gain speed.

2. How is non-constant acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Non-constant acceleration is when the rate of change in velocity of the race car is not consistent. This means that the car is not gaining speed at a steady rate. In contrast, constant acceleration is when the rate of change in velocity remains the same over time, resulting in a steady increase in speed.

3. What factors can affect the non-constant acceleration of a race car?

The non-constant acceleration of a race car can be affected by several factors, such as the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the condition of the track, and external forces like wind resistance or friction. Additionally, the driver's skill and the car's engine power can also play a role in the acceleration.

4. How can non-constant acceleration impact the performance of a race car?

Non-constant acceleration can significantly impact the performance of a race car. If the acceleration is too low, the car may not reach its desired speed in time, affecting its overall performance. On the other hand, if the acceleration is too high, it can cause the car to lose control, leading to accidents or a decrease in speed.

5. Can non-constant acceleration be beneficial in a race?

Non-constant acceleration can be beneficial in a race, depending on the situation. For example, when navigating turns, a race car may need to decrease its acceleration to maintain control. However, on straightaways, a steady and constant acceleration can help the car maintain its speed and potentially overtake other racers. It ultimately depends on the track and the driver's strategy.