Non-destructive testing - Porosity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the best non-destructive testing (NDT) method to detect and measure porosity in a bearing pad. The options discussed include penetrant testing, radiography, eddy-current testing, helium/gas pycnometry, and ultrasonic testing. The goal is to find a test that will accurately determine the porosity and allow for targeted repairs to ensure the pad passes its porosity test.
Marbig
Hi all,

We have a bearing pad at work that failed a porosity test and could not hold pressure (this was the pad itself and not the babbit surface).

I need to look into some NDT testing that will give us an idea about the porosity. I have googled and some sites say different things, from what I gather it will be penetrate testing, radiography or eddy current.

Basically I need a test that will allow me to say to someone that this pad needs to be repaired so that "XXX test" reveals that surface defects are less than "xxx (some sort of classification that corresponds to the test method)" so that it will past its porosity test.

This will be more specific than simply saying that the pad needs to be repaired so that the porosity test will be passed.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks for all your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Penetrant testing only works for surface or open porosity, i.e. porosity connected to the surface.

Radiography might work depending on the type of porosity. Radiography usually looks for voids, but density (1 - porosity) would require calibration (with standards of know porosity/density).

Eddy-current may not work - it is usually used for surface flaws (voids) - and it also would require calibration.

Depending on the size, helium/gas pycnometry might work.

UT might also work.

Look here for some ideas.
http://www.ndt-ed.org/GeneralResources/MethodSummary/MethodSummary.htm

Related to Non-destructive testing - Porosity

1. What is non-destructive testing (NDT)?

Non-destructive testing (NDT) is a method of evaluating the properties of a material, component, or system without causing any damage or altering its physical, chemical, or mechanical properties. It is used to detect and analyze defects or flaws in a material or structure to ensure its quality and integrity.

2. What is porosity in NDT?

Porosity is a type of defect that can be identified using NDT techniques. It refers to the presence of voids, gaps, or holes in a material, which can weaken its structure and affect its performance. Porosity can occur due to manufacturing processes, environmental factors, or other external factors.

3. What are common methods used for porosity testing in NDT?

Some common methods used for porosity testing in NDT include visual inspection, ultrasonic testing, radiography, eddy current testing, and penetrant testing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the type of material, size and location of the defect, and other factors.

4. Is porosity always considered a defect in NDT?

No, porosity is not always considered a defect in NDT. In some cases, porosity may be an acceptable and expected characteristic of a material, such as in castings or welds. The acceptance criteria for porosity defects depend on the industry standards and the intended use of the material or component.

5. How is porosity detected and measured in NDT?

The detection and measurement of porosity in NDT depend on the method used. For example, visual inspection relies on the human eye to detect visible pores or voids on the surface of a material. Ultrasonic testing uses high-frequency sound waves to detect and measure internal defects, including porosity. Radiography uses X-rays or gamma rays to create an image of the internal structure of a material, which can reveal the presence of porosity. Eddy current testing and penetrant testing also use different techniques to identify and measure porosity defects.