Non- Ideal Mixtures- positve deviation from Raoult's Law

In summary: Your Name]In summary, an azeotropic mixture of ethanol and water has a constant boiling point of 65°C and a composition of 4% water and 96% ethanol. When using 3% water, the remaining residue will be 99% ethanol and 1% water, while using 20% water will result in a residue of 84% ethanol and 16% water. However, in both cases, the distillate will still be the azeotrope with a composition of 4% water and 96% ethanol. This is because the azeotrope is the most stable composition and cannot be separated by simple distillation.
leah3000

Homework Statement

Ethanol (bp= 78° C) and water (bp= 100°C) form an azeotropic mixture at 4% water ans temperature 65°C.

what is obtained in the residue and the distillate if:
i) 3% water is used
ii) 20% water is used

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the distillate would always be the azeotrope but I'm not sure how the %change in water affects the residue.

I assumed that since the azeotropic mixture is formed at 4% then the residue would be ethanol and at 20% the residue would be water.

can someone please explain this...I know my reasoning is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to help you understand the concept of azeotropic mixtures and how different percentages of water would affect the residue and distillate in this scenario.

Firstly, an azeotropic mixture is a liquid mixture that has a constant boiling point and composition, meaning that the vapor produced has the same composition as the liquid mixture. In this case, the azeotrope of ethanol and water has a boiling point of 65°C and a composition of 4% water and 96% ethanol.

Now, to answer your question, let's consider the two scenarios:
i) If 3% water is used, then the remaining 1% water will be present in the residue along with 99% ethanol. This is because the azeotrope is formed at 4% water, so any percentage below that will result in a residue with a higher concentration of ethanol and a lower concentration of water.
ii) If 20% water is used, then the remaining 16% water will be present in the residue along with 84% ethanol. This is because the azeotrope is formed at 4% water, so any percentage above that will result in a residue with a higher concentration of water and a lower concentration of ethanol.

In both cases, the distillate will still be the azeotropic mixture with a composition of 4% water and 96% ethanol. This is because the azeotrope is the most stable composition and cannot be separated by simple distillation.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Non- Ideal Mixtures- positve deviation from Raoult's Law

What is a non-ideal mixture?

A non-ideal mixture is a combination of two or more substances that do not behave as expected based on Raoult's Law. This law states that the vapor pressure of a mixture is equal to the sum of the vapor pressures of its individual components. Non-ideal mixtures deviate from this law due to interactions between the molecules of different components.

What causes positive deviation from Raoult's Law?

Positive deviation from Raoult's Law occurs when the vapor pressure of a mixture is higher than expected based on the vapor pressures of its individual components. This is typically caused by attractive intermolecular forces between the molecules of different components, which leads to a higher concentration of the components in the vapor phase compared to the liquid phase.

How does positive deviation affect the boiling point of a mixture?

Positive deviation from Raoult's Law leads to an increase in the boiling point of a mixture. This is because the attractive intermolecular forces between the components make it more difficult for the molecules to escape into the vapor phase, requiring a higher temperature to overcome these forces and reach the vapor pressure of the mixture.

What are some real-life examples of non-ideal mixtures with positive deviation?

One example of a non-ideal mixture with positive deviation is an ethanol-water mixture. Ethanol and water have different molecular structures and therefore interact differently with each other. The attractive forces between these molecules lead to positive deviation from Raoult's Law, resulting in a higher vapor pressure and boiling point for the mixture compared to the individual components.

How can positive deviation from Raoult's Law be used in practical applications?

Positive deviation from Raoult's Law can be used in the production of liquors, such as whiskey and brandy. These beverages are made by distilling a fermented mixture of water and ethanol, and the positive deviation allows for the separation of a higher concentration of ethanol in the vapor phase, resulting in a higher alcohol content in the final product.