Non-Inertial Frame: Explain the Tilting Balloon

• Thread starter matpo39
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, a pendulum in equilibrium hanging in a car that is accelerating forward will tilt backward due to the inertial force acting in the opposite direction of the acceleration. In the case of a helium balloon anchored by a massless string to the floor of a car with forward acceleration, the balloon will tilt forward due to a pressure gradient in the surrounding air pushing it towards the area with lower pressure. This is because the balloon is attracted forward by the local pressure gradient, rather than being pushed forward. Once the pressure gradient is established, the balloon will experience a forwards force and tilt forward, as determined by equilibrium of moments.
matpo39
I am a little stuck on this problem :

Be sure you understand why a pendulum in equilibrium hanging in a car that is accelerating foward tilts backward, and then consider the following: A helium balloon is anchoredby a massless string to the floor of a car that is accelerating foward with acceleration A. Explain why the balloon tends to tilt foward.

I think i was able to explain the pendulum tilting backward, because the acceleration is foward the inertial force is -mA which would act in the opposite direction of the acceleration causing the pendulum to tilt backwards.

Then for the balloon I think that it's tilting foward has to have something to do with the buoyant force and gravity, but I am not sure how to relate the two and also wouldn't the inertal force still be acting in the opposite of the acceleration A, then why would it tilt foward?

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
matpo39 said:
I am a little stuck on this problem :

Be sure you understand why a pendulum in equilibrium hanging in a car that is accelerating foward tilts backward, and then consider the following: A helium balloon is anchoredby a massless string to the floor of a car that is accelerating foward with acceleration A. Explain why the balloon tends to tilt foward.

I think i was able to explain the pendulum tilting backward, because the acceleration is foward the inertial force is -mA which would act in the opposite direction of the acceleration causing the pendulum to tilt backwards.

Then for the balloon I think that it's tilting foward has to have something to do with the buoyant force and gravity, but I am not sure how to relate the two and also wouldn't the inertal force still be acting in the opposite of the acceleration A, then why would it tilt foward?

thanks for the help

Well, here is the common explanation: the air surrounding the balloon is heavier then the helium inside the ballon. Indeed if the acceleration is forward then Newton's third law states that the balloon should move backwards. However this does NOT happen because it is the surrounding air (which is heavier) that will move backwards due to this law of action and reaction. Because the air moves backwards, a region with very little air arises (pressure is also lower there) and therefore the balloon will move towards that region with "less" air. beware that this happens very fast so generally there is not really "a region with less air". Basically it is always the most massive object that will move backwards with respect to lighter objects present because ma is bigger ! The balloon is NOT pushed foreward but it is attracted forward because of the local pressure gradient

marlon

In a CLOSED car, it is perfectly reasonable that the air within the car has the same velocity as the car even if the car is accelerating.
There will be a transitory phase in which a sufficient pressure gradient is built up to generate the car's acceleration within the air (the back of the car will slam into to the adjacent air).
Once this has been done, there has been established the sufficient horizontal pressure gradient in the air; this will give rise to a forwards force on the balloon.
Equilibrium of moments with respect to the attachment point of the string (on the car floor), requires that (buouancy-minus balloon weight)-moment acts oppositely of the (horizontal pressure force)-moment, i.e, the balloon must tilt forwards (in the case of helium filling the balloon).

Related to Non-Inertial Frame: Explain the Tilting Balloon

1. What is a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This means that objects in this frame will experience fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force, due to the frame's acceleration.

2. How is a non-inertial frame different from an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. This means that objects in this frame will not experience any fictitious forces, and their motion can be accurately described by Newton's laws.

3. What is a tilting balloon experiment?

A tilting balloon experiment is a demonstration of non-inertial frames using a balloon filled with helium. When the balloon is accelerated or decelerated, the helium inside will move towards the back or front of the balloon, causing it to tilt. This is due to the fictitious force, or centrifugal force, acting on the helium.

4. How does the tilting balloon experiment illustrate non-inertial frames?

The tilting balloon experiment shows that in a non-inertial frame, objects will experience a fictitious force that is proportional to their mass and the frame's acceleration. In this case, the helium inside the balloon experiences a centrifugal force as the balloon accelerates, causing it to tilt.

5. Why is understanding non-inertial frames important in science?

Understanding non-inertial frames is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, as it allows for accurate predictions and calculations in systems that involve acceleration or rotation. Without considering the effects of non-inertial frames, the behavior of objects in these systems may be incorrectly predicted, leading to errors in design and analysis.