Non line of sight position sensor/ detector

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a small sensor/detector (A) that can be inserted into human bone and detected later, with dimensions of 3mm diameter and 6mm length preferred. The application involves detecting the location of this sensor (B) within a human bone cylinder (C) covered by tissue, muscle, and skin, with a handheld detector (A) and X,Y,Z coordinates for reference. Ultrasound may not be applicable due to interference with solid bone, and alternative options such as Rf systems or studying stud/wire/pipe/rebar locators and rfi tags are suggested. However, it is noted that multiple sensors are typically needed for accurate positioning, which may not be possible with a handheld
leongsaiyeong
Hi,

I am looking for a sensor/ detector (A) which could perform the following:

constrain: transmitter/ receiver (B) size must be small so that it can be inserted in human bone to be detected later, diameter 3mm X 6mm length is preferred, however, a bigger size can be consider as well.

Application: once this (B) in inserted into human bone, imagine the size of bone as diameter 16mm X 300mm length cylinder (C) with wall thickness 3mm covered by tissue, muscle. I will need a detector (A) at close range, preferably a handheld type which I can scan from any part outside the body through skin, muscle, tissue and bone of arms/ leg (C) to detect the location of (B), this detector (A) will tells me the X,Y,Z distance from a reference. Once I can pinpoint the location, I can retrieve the (B).

ultrasound may not be applicable as there may be interference with the bone as solid material. perhaps some kind of Rf system may work? someone please advise?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you have asked is impossible with any system.

To establish coordinates in 2D requires 2 reference points, and in 3D 3 reference points.

Your handheld gadget contains only one.

That is one reason why hospital scanners are large machines with multiple sensors.

There are devices that yield depth and position (indirectly) such as stud/wire/pipe/rebar locators.

You might try to study these to see if there is any help there. They achieve the measurement by multiple positioning of one search head.

go well.

Hi,

Thanks for your advise.
ok, will try what you have recommended.
Thanks

You might also look at the rfi tags used in some prostrate radiation work (and I suspect other applications).

Hi DickL,
ok, thanks. I will check.

Related to Non line of sight position sensor/ detector

1. What is a non line of sight position sensor/detector?

A non line of sight position sensor/detector is a type of sensor or detector that is able to detect and track the position of an object or target even when the object is not in direct line of sight of the sensor. This is achieved through the use of advanced algorithms and technologies such as radar, lidar, or sonar.

2. How does a non line of sight position sensor/detector work?

A non line of sight position sensor/detector works by emitting signals, such as radio waves or light pulses, and then analyzing the reflected signals to determine the position of an object. The sensor uses advanced algorithms to interpret the signals and calculate the position of the object based on factors such as signal strength, time of flight, and angle of reflection.

3. What are the applications of non line of sight position sensors/detectors?

Non line of sight position sensors/detectors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including military and defense, robotics, transportation, and security. They can be used for object detection and tracking, collision avoidance, navigation, and surveillance.

4. What are the advantages of using non line of sight position sensors/detectors?

The main advantage of non line of sight position sensors/detectors is their ability to detect and track objects even when they are not in direct line of sight. This allows for increased accuracy and reliability in various applications. Additionally, these sensors do not require physical contact with the object, making them non-intrusive and suitable for use in hazardous environments.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with non line of sight position sensors/detectors?

One of the main limitations of non line of sight position sensors/detectors is their dependency on environmental conditions. Factors such as weather, interference, and obstructions can affect the accuracy and reliability of these sensors. Additionally, the use of advanced technology and algorithms can make these sensors expensive and complex to implement.