Non-linear convolution and power series

In summary: This gives us our final solution:\left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}c_{i-j}x^{k+j} \right) = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}c_{i-j}x^{k+j} \right) \mod (x^n - x)In summary,
burritoloco

Homework Statement

Hi, suppose we have the summation
[tex] \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \sum_{j=0}^{n-1} a_j b_{i-j}^{j} x^i,[/tex]

where the subscripts are taken modulo [itex]n[/itex], and [itex]a_i^n = a_i, b_i^n = b_i[/itex] for each [itex]i[/itex].

Write the above power series as a product of two power series modulo [itex]x^n - x[/itex].

Homework Equations

I'm only aware of the regular Cauchy (linear) convolution. That is,
[tex] \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a_j b_{i-j}x^i = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}b_j x^j \right).[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm frankly not sure...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. I can suggest the following solution to write the given power series as a product of two power series modulo x^n - x:

1. Rewrite the given power series in terms of the linear convolution formula, as you have mentioned in the Homework Equations section. This will give you the following expression:

\left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}b_j x^j \right) = \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a_j b_{i-j}x^i

2. Now, we can see that the given power series is a linear convolution of two power series, with the second power series being a shifted version of the first one. This means that we can write the second power series as a shifted version of the first one, i.e. b_{i-j} = a_{i-j+k}, where k is some constant.

3. Substituting this in the above expression, we get:

\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a_j a_{i-j+k}x^i = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}a_{i-j+k} x^j \right)

4. Now, we can see that the second power series is a shifted version of the first one by k terms. This means that we can write the second power series as a power series in terms of x^k, i.e. a_{i-j+k} = c_{i-j}x^k, where c_{i-j} is some constant.

5. Substituting this in the above expression, we get:

\left( \sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_i x^i \right) \left( \sum_{j=0}^{n-1}c_{i-j}x^{k+j} \right)

6. Now, we can see that this expression can be written as a product of two power series modulo x^n - x

Related to Non-linear convolution and power series

1. What is non-linear convolution?

Non-linear convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function. It is a generalization of the traditional linear convolution, where the two functions are multiplied and integrated. In non-linear convolution, the multiplication and integration steps are replaced with other mathematical operations, such as exponentiation or logarithms.

2. How is non-linear convolution different from linear convolution?

Non-linear convolution differs from linear convolution in that it allows for more complex mathematical operations to be used in the combination of two functions. This allows for a greater range of functions to be created, including ones that exhibit non-linear behavior. Linear convolution, on the other hand, is limited to multiplying and integrating two functions.

3. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. Each term in the series contains a constant coefficient and a variable raised to a different power. Power series are used to approximate functions, especially those that do not have a closed-form solution.

4. How are power series used in non-linear convolution?

Power series are often used in non-linear convolution as one of the two functions being combined. This allows for the creation of complex, non-linear functions by using the infinite sum of terms in the power series. The other function being combined can also be a power series, or it can be a simpler function, such as a polynomial or exponential function.

5. What are some practical applications of non-linear convolution and power series?

Non-linear convolution and power series have many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, as well as to approximate functions that do not have closed-form solutions. For example, power series are used in the Taylor series expansion, which is used to approximate functions in calculus.