Non linear field of a long bar magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of "end effect" on a long bar magnet, where the North pole is along the length of the top side. It is observed that a thin piece of iron placed near the North pole becomes magnetized in the northerly direction, creating two North poles that repel each other. The possible solution of introducing the iron adjacent to the pole is also discussed, but the speaker is still looking for suggestions on how to reduce this end effect and make the magnetic field more linear for other purposes.
shustrng
How can the "end effect " be reduced on a long Bar magnet where the (for example) North pole is along the length of the top side. For example a 0.5 cm square bar say 5" long is stuck (South) onto a metal backing. The center length of 4" has a linear field effect but the ends have a bloom presumably as the N/S pole fields overlap. For example a small washer can be placed anywhere along the middle (top side) and will stay where placed, but when slid to the end, and released, it jumps back a cm away from the end? Basically, this non-linear field is stronger attracting at these ends. It is desired to reduce this end effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your experimental observations, some of the magnetic flux lines in the north direction exit the magnet near the north pole, but before they reach the pole. As a result, a thin piece of iron placed on top of the magnet near the north pole will also become magnetized in the northerly direction. The result is you then have two north poles right next to each other and they will repel. Alternatively, if the piece of iron were introduced adjacent to the pole (on the endface), the magnetization would be such that the south pole end of the piece of iron would be adjacent to the north pole of the magnet, and it would stick to it. ## \\ ## I think I interpreted your observations correctly, but I don't know how to reduce the effect.

Charles Link said:
If I understand your experimental observations, some of the magnetic flux lines in the north direction exit the magnet near the north pole, but before they reach the pole. As a result, a thin piece of iron placed on top of the magnet near the north pole will also become magnetized in the northerly direction. The result is you then have two north poles right next to each other and they will repel. Alternatively, if the piece of iron were introduced adjacent to the pole (on the endface), the magnetization would be such that the south pole end of the piece of iron would be adjacent to the north pole of the magnet, and it would stick to it. ## \\ ## I think I interpreted your observations correctly, but I don't know how to reduce the effect.

Thanks Charles. Well the sliding washer is just a simple trick to show the end effect but I hope to have suggestions to try to dampen/shorten this effect and be able to use the entire length as a more linear field for other uses.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Non linear field of a long bar magnet

1. What is a non linear field of a long bar magnet?

A non linear field of a long bar magnet refers to the magnetic field produced by a magnet that is not perfectly straight or uniform in shape. This can occur due to imperfections in the magnet's material or external factors such as nearby magnetic fields.

2. How is the non linear field of a long bar magnet different from a linear field?

A linear field is one that has a constant strength and direction throughout its entire length. In contrast, a non linear field varies in strength and direction along the length of the magnet, making it more complex and difficult to analyze.

3. What factors affect the non linear field of a long bar magnet?

The non linear field of a long bar magnet can be affected by the material of the magnet, its shape and size, the presence of other magnets or magnetic materials nearby, and the strength and direction of the external magnetic field.

4. How can the non linear field of a long bar magnet be measured?

The non linear field of a long bar magnet can be measured using a magnetic field strength meter or a Hall effect sensor. These devices can detect and measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field at various points along the length of the magnet.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the non linear field of a long bar magnet?

Understanding the non linear field of a long bar magnet is important in designing and optimizing magnetic devices such as motors, generators, and magnetic storage systems. It can also be useful in industries such as aerospace, where precise control of magnetic fields is necessary for navigation and positioning systems.