Non-linear second order from calculus of variation I can't solve

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation and obtaining a relatively simple answer using Mathematica. The equation involves variables y', y'', and p. The conversation also includes the substitution of a constant, c, and the use of the separable method to solve for w.
jackmell
Hi,

I derived the equation:

[tex]1+(y')^2-y y''-2y\left(1+(y')^2\right)^{3/2}=0[/tex]

Letting [itex]y'=p[/itex] and [itex]y''=p\frac{dp}{dy}[/itex], I obtain:

[tex]\frac{dp}{dy}=\frac{1+p^2-2y(1+p^2)^{3/2}}{yp}[/tex]

I believe it's tractable in p because Mathematica gives a relatively simple answer:

[tex]p=\begin{cases}\frac{i \sqrt{-y^2+y^4-4 y^2 C[1]+4 C[1]^2}}{y^2-2 C[1]}\\
\\
-\frac{i \sqrt{-y^2+y^4-4 y^2 C[1]+4 C[1]^2}}{y^2-2 C[1]}
\end{cases}[/tex]

I don't see how to get to that answer and I was wondering if someone here could help me with this.

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
What does 'C[1]' represent?

SteamKing said:
What does 'C[1]' represent?

I should have changed that to just c. It's a constant:

[tex]p=\begin{cases}\frac{i \sqrt{-y^2+y^4-4 y^2 c+4 c^2}}{y^2-2 c}\\
\\
-\frac{i \sqrt{-y^2+y^4-4 y^2 c+4 c^2}}{y^2-2 c}
\end{cases}[/tex]

Try the substitution

$$ w = \frac{\sqrt{1+p^2}}{y}.$$

You should find that

$$ \frac{dw}{dy} = -2y w^2,$$

which is separable.

Likes 1 person
Hi !

A laborious method below :

Attachments

• ODE.JPG
    ODE.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 450
Likes 2 people
You guys are just shear art in here. [itex]\frac{dw}{dy}=-2w^2y[/itex] was tough for me to go through but I got it. Still working through Jacquelin's. I'm sure it's correct though. :)

Last edited:

FAQ: Non-linear second order from calculus of variation I can't solve

1. What is a non-linear second order differential equation?

A non-linear second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative (or higher order derivatives) of a function, and the function itself is raised to a power or multiplied by a variable. This makes it a non-linear equation, as the variables are not simply added, subtracted, or multiplied by constants.

2. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal value of a functional. A functional is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as an input and gives a real number as an output. In simpler terms, it is a way to find the best shape or path for a given situation.

3. What are some common methods for solving non-linear second order differential equations?

Some common methods for solving non-linear second order differential equations include substitution, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. However, these methods may not always work for all types of non-linear equations, and it may be necessary to use more advanced techniques.

4. Why is it difficult to solve non-linear second order differential equations using calculus of variations?

Non-linear second order differential equations are difficult to solve because they do not have a general solution like linear equations do. This means that each specific equation must be solved using different methods, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Additionally, the calculus of variations itself is a complex subject that requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-life applications of non-linear second order differential equations and the calculus of variations?

Non-linear second order differential equations and the calculus of variations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model complex systems and optimize processes, such as finding the most efficient path for a spacecraft to travel or determining the optimal shape for a bridge. They are also used in financial modeling and predicting population growth in biology.