Non-uniform adiabatic gas compression

In summary, the formulas for pressure and volume are still applicable in a non-uniform environment, so long as the temperature is uniform. More specificity is needed to determine the applicability of the formulas.
Margalit
I would like some insight on a problem I have been working on. I have a seal container of air where the outside chamber has a slight temperature differential between top and bottom. I understand this causes a density variation in the air between the top and bottom of the chamber. Now I am looking to expand the chamber to a larger volume and get the new pressure inside the chamber relative to the previous pressure. I assume there is no heat loss during this process, so I believe in the uniform case I can use the formula : (P1/P2) =(V2/V1)^1.4 for air.

My question then is this formula valid for the case where the density and temperature is not uniform? Does it matter if the expansion happens from the top (lower density air) or bottom (higher density air)?

I appreciate any insight of how to think about this problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think this problem is fully specified. Nothing is stated about the cause of the temperature gradient, and it is not clear how that cause will affect the state of the system after expansion. Assuming that cause disappears, the end state will have uniform temperature. Given the original temperature/density profile and the assumption of the uniformity after the expansion, conservation of energy and the ideal gas laws should be sufficient.

More specificity

Thank for the response. I will try to be more specific in defining the problem by using a example. Suppose we have a 1 m cube box with fully rigid walls. Air is trapped in the chamber at 100 kPa. The bottom of the cube is externally forces to 24C and the top is forced to 26C. The average temperature inside the box is 25C. A piston is then pushed into the chamber reducing its volume by 1 Liters. This is done in a rapid fashion <0.1 seconds. This causes a slight internal temperature rise of the gas because work has been done on the gas. Given the size of the box and speed of sound in air, a uniform pressure(ignoring gravity or convection) is established in the chamber rapidly <0.2 seconds. Thermal equilibrium in such a situation will take much longer 30+ seconds. I am looking for the pressure in the vessel before there is heat loss to the walls (not-isothermal). This is obviously a classical problem when the temperature is uniform, but I could not find anything that deals with non-uniform temperature.

My question is under these non-uniform temperature conditions for the start, are the basic formulas still usable for the relationship between volume compression and pressure rise?

Related to Non-uniform adiabatic gas compression

What is non-uniform adiabatic gas compression?

Non-uniform adiabatic gas compression is a process in which a gas is compressed without any heat entering or leaving the system, and the compression is not done at a constant rate. This means that the temperature and pressure of the gas will change as it is compressed, and the compression may not be uniform throughout the system.

What is the purpose of non-uniform adiabatic gas compression?

The purpose of non-uniform adiabatic gas compression is to increase the pressure and decrease the volume of a gas. This can be useful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in gas turbines, refrigeration systems, and gas storage tanks.

What factors affect non-uniform adiabatic gas compression?

There are several factors that can affect non-uniform adiabatic gas compression, including the type of gas being compressed, the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, and the rate at which the compression is performed. Additionally, the design and condition of the compression equipment can also play a role.

What are the potential risks of non-uniform adiabatic gas compression?

Non-uniform adiabatic gas compression can pose certain risks, such as the potential for the gas to reach high temperatures and pressures, which can lead to explosions or other safety hazards. It is important to carefully monitor and control the compression process to avoid any potential risks.

How is non-uniform adiabatic gas compression different from other types of gas compression?

Non-uniform adiabatic gas compression differs from other types of gas compression, such as isothermal or polytropic compression, in that it does not involve any heat exchange with the surroundings and the compression is not done at a constant rate. This can result in different changes in temperature and pressure for the gas, as well as different efficiency and energy requirements for the compression process.