Non-Uniform Surface Charge Spherical Shell

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field inside and outside a thin spherical shell with a surface charge density of kcos3θ. The relevant boundary conditions at the surface are also discussed. The solution to Laplace's Equation in spherical coordinates is mentioned and an attempt at a solution is shown. The post also includes a question about whether only the third Legendre polynomial needs to be considered.
azupol

Homework Statement

A thin spherical shell of radius R carries a surface charge density of the form
[itex]

kcos3 \theta
[/itex]
Find the electric field inside and outside the sphere and demonstrate explicitly that its
components satisfy the relevant boundary conditions at the surface.

Homework Equations

The solution to Laplace's Equation in spherical coordinates :\Sigma Al rl Pl(cos \theta) (r≤R)\Sigma Bl r-(l+1)Pl(cos \theta) (r≥R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked it through untilAl= k/2ε0Rl-1∫cos3 \theta Pl cos \theta sin \theta d \thetaWhere do I go from here? Do I only need to consider the third Legendre polynomial?i.e.##(5cos3\theta - 3 cos \theta)/2 ##
Are all the other coefficients zero?

EDIT: It seems TeX does not want to work for me, but I'm sure you get the idea

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Non-Uniform Surface Charge Spherical Shell

1. What is a non-uniform surface charge spherical shell?

A non-uniform surface charge spherical shell is a hollow sphere with varying amounts of electric charge distributed on its surface. This means that the electric charge is not evenly distributed, but rather concentrated in certain areas of the shell.

2. How is a non-uniform surface charge spherical shell different from a uniform one?

A uniform surface charge spherical shell has the same amount of electric charge distributed evenly on its surface, while a non-uniform one has varying amounts of charge in different areas. This can affect the electric field and potential inside and outside of the shell.

3. What causes a non-uniform surface charge distribution on a spherical shell?

The non-uniform surface charge distribution on a spherical shell is caused by the presence of other charges or conductors nearby. The electric field from these external sources can influence the charge distribution on the shell.

4. How does a non-uniform surface charge affect the electric field inside and outside of the spherical shell?

The electric field inside and outside of a non-uniform surface charge spherical shell is affected by the uneven distribution of charge on the surface. This can lead to variations in the strength and direction of the electric field at different points.

5. What are some real-world applications of non-uniform surface charge spherical shells?

Non-uniform surface charge spherical shells are used in many practical applications, such as lightning rods, electrostatic precipitators, and Van de Graaff generators. They are also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and biology.

Back