Non-Unitary Dynamics: Is it Allowed?

• I
  • Thread starter dumpling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the speaker is discussing a peculiar case where the solution of the Schrödinger equation is simpler if the basis elements evolve non-unitarily. They are curious if this type of dynamics is allowed mathematically and if they can still calculate expectation values in such cases. They reference Wigner's Theorem as related material and mention that continuous transformations cannot be anti-unitary without resulting in a contradiction.
dumpling
I do know that supposedly the time-evolution operator is unitary.
At the same time, I have come across a peculiar case during a calculation.
Suppose that I have a basis that is complete (and not overcomplete), and element of Hilbert-space at t=0.

For some reason, the solution of the Schrödinger-equation is significantly simple, but only if I allow each of the basis-elements to evolve non-unitarily.
The <\Psi|\Psi> norme oscillates in time, but it is always finite, and the states always remain normalisable.

I do know that certain calculations like this exists, for example in nuclear physics, or in certain effective descriptions.
Yet I still would like to know whether this kind of dynamics is mathematically allowed, and whether I can just calculate expectation values in such cases as <\Psi|A|\Psi>/<\Psi|\Psi>.

Physics news on Phys.org
dumpling said:
I do know that supposedly the time-evolution operator is unitary.

You might like to acquaint yourself with Wigner's Theorem:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.0779

For continuous transformations it can't be anti-unitary because you arrive at a contradiction - there is some point between the points of the transformation - so you have an anti-unitary applied to an anti-unitary which is unitary.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Non-Unitary Dynamics: Is it Allowed?

1. What is non-unitary dynamics?

Non-unitary dynamics is a term used in physics to describe a system that does not follow the principles of unitary evolution. This means that the system does not conserve information, leading to a breakdown of the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Is non-unitary dynamics allowed in nature?

While non-unitary dynamics may seem counterintuitive, there are certain physical systems in which it is allowed. For example, in quantum mechanics, non-unitary dynamics can occur in open systems that interact with their environment, leading to the phenomenon of quantum decoherence.

3. How does non-unitary dynamics affect the laws of physics?

Non-unitary dynamics challenges the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics. It suggests that information can be lost or gained in a system, which goes against the principles of unitary evolution.

4. What are some examples of non-unitary dynamics?

One example of non-unitary dynamics is the decay of unstable particles in quantum mechanics. Another example is the black hole information paradox, which suggests that information can be lost in a black hole, leading to a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

5. What are the implications of non-unitary dynamics?

The implications of non-unitary dynamics are still being studied and debated in the scientific community. Some suggest that it could lead to a new understanding of the laws of physics, while others believe it could challenge our current understanding of the universe and its origins.