Nondimensionalization of diffusion equation

In summary, the conversation involves the process of dye diffusion in an environment of dimension L. The equation for the linear density c is provided, along with the conditions for nondimensionalization. The goal is to reveal a term homogeneous to time and compare the characteristic lengths of the equation systems. The attempt at a solution involves finding the numbers ##\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 , \alpha_3##, ##\beta_1 , \beta_2 , \beta_3##, ##\gamma_1 , \gamma_2 , \gamma_3## to make the variables dimensionless. The results include equations for ##\tilde{x}##, ##\tilde{t}##, and ##\til
DzoptiC

Homework Statement

We let a dye diffuses into an environment of dimension L. We inject that dye into a box by one face, at t = 0 on x = 0. The linear density c follows that equation :
upload_2017-4-23_11-22-49.png

with the conditions :
upload_2017-4-23_11-22-40.png

Homework Equations

/ questions[/B]
a. nondimensionalize the equations and the conditions
b. reveal a term homogeneous to time, and its signification
c. compare the characteristic lenghts of these equation systems

The Attempt at a Solution

By nondimensionalize this equation, I found this :
upload_2017-4-23_11-24-30.png

But I think it's wrong... I use the "formal way" to nondimensionalize the equation as shown in the Khan academy video on youtube.
May I ask for help ?
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-23_11-20-45.png
    upload_2017-4-23_11-20-45.png
    592 bytes · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should start by finding out the numbers ##\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 , \alpha_3##, ##\beta_1 , \beta_2 , \beta_3##, ##\gamma_1 , \gamma_2 , \gamma_3## so that the variables

##\tilde{x}=L^{\alpha_1}m_0^{\alpha_2}D^{\alpha_3}x##
##\tilde{t}=L^{\beta_1}m_0^{\beta_2}D^{\beta_3}t##
##\tilde{c}=L^{\gamma_1}m_0^{\gamma_2}D^{\gamma_3}c##

become dimensionless. ##L## is any characteristic length of the system you want to choose.

Hi, I've tried what you've advised me, here are my results :
upload_2017-4-23_16-42-1.png

We therefore have:
upload_2017-4-23_16-43-59.png

For the conditions I found:

upload_2017-4-23_16-42-42.png

I'm not quite sure about the integral term though..

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-23_16-42-25.png
    upload_2017-4-23_16-42-25.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 646

Related to Nondimensionalization of diffusion equation

1. What is the purpose of nondimensionalization in the diffusion equation?

Nondimensionalization is the process of removing all units of measurement from a mathematical equation, making it easier to analyze and compare with other equations. In the case of the diffusion equation, nondimensionalization helps to identify the key parameters and relationships that govern the diffusion process.

2. How is the diffusion equation nondimensionalized?

The diffusion equation is typically nondimensionalized by dividing all variables by a characteristic length or time scale, and then substituting these nondimensional variables into the original equation. This results in a dimensionless form of the equation.

3. What are the benefits of nondimensionalization in the diffusion equation?

Nondimensionalization allows for easier comparison of different diffusion systems, as the underlying behavior and governing equations are the same regardless of the specific units used. It also simplifies the analysis and solution of the diffusion equation, as the number of parameters and variables is reduced.

4. Can nondimensionalization be applied to any diffusion process?

Yes, nondimensionalization can be applied to any diffusion process that can be described by the diffusion equation. This includes a wide range of physical, chemical, and biological processes such as heat transfer, mass transfer, and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to nondimensionalization in the diffusion equation?

While nondimensionalization can provide valuable insights into the behavior of diffusion processes, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for very complex systems with multiple variables or for systems with highly nonlinear behavior. In these cases, dimensional analysis or numerical methods may be more appropriate.