Nonlinear DE depending on two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a single nonlinear differential equation with no implicit dependence on one of the variables. The equation is a second order non-linear DE and the speaker is seeking guidance on how to proceed with solving it. They provide the equation and mention that it comes from a calculus of variations problem. They also mention some boundary and integral constraints. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for help in solving the equation.
KingBongo
I have a single nonlinear differential equation like

F(x2,dx1/dt,dx2/dt,d2x1/dt2,d2x2/dt2)=0

where x1=x1(t), x2=x2(t)

i.e. a second order non-linear DE with no implicit dependence on x1(t). I suppose solving it results (in general) that one of the variables would be dependent on the other.

How can I proceed with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an actual equation to solve? If so, posting it would probably help

Ok. I will use dJxi for dJxi/dtJ, i \in {1,2} and so on. Little bit ugly but anyway, :)

(d1x1)^3 +(d1x2)^2*d1x1 -x2*d1x1*d2x2 +x2*d2x1*d1x2 +L*x2*((d1x1)^2+(d1x2)^2)^(3/2) =0

This comes from a calculus of variations problem, L is a Lagrange coefficient, and the DE describes what the extremals should look like.

I have some boundary constraints, x1(t0)=0, x2(t0)=R, x2(t1)=r, R≥0, r≥0 and an integral constraint that has to hold, that's why I use a Lagrange coefficient. I started a thread regarding this in some other section as well.

This problem was meant to be an exercise before the real problem I am working on, :) I thought it would be easy to solve but no.

lol... that's a bit out of my league.

But I can do the latex!

[tex](\frac{dx_1}{dt})^3 + (\frac{dx_2}{dt})^2 \frac{dx_1}{dt} - x_2\frac{dx_1}{dt}\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2} + x_2\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}\frac{dx_2}{dt} + Lx_2( (\frac{dx_1}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dx_2}{dt})^2 )^{3/2} = 0[/tex]

NO! It is simple, solve it! :) Thanks.

FAQ: Nonlinear DE depending on two variables

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves derivatives and nonlinear functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives. These types of equations are more complex than linear differential equations and often have multiple solutions.

2. What is the difference between a single-variable and two-variable nonlinear differential equation?

A single-variable nonlinear differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a two-variable nonlinear differential equation involves two independent variables. This means that the solution to a two-variable equation will depend on the values of both variables, making it more difficult to solve.

3. How do you solve a nonlinear differential equation depending on two variables?

There is no general method for solving all types of nonlinear differential equations. However, some techniques that can be used include using power series, substitution methods, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

4. What is the importance of studying nonlinear differential equations depending on two variables?

Nonlinear differential equations depending on two variables have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and biology. By understanding and solving these equations, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can a nonlinear differential equation depending on two variables have multiple solutions?

Yes, a two-variable nonlinear differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because there are more variables and parameters that can affect the behavior of the system, leading to different possible solutions. These solutions can also change depending on the initial conditions of the system.