Nonlinear ODE Solution for Positive Parameters and Limit Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a first order nonlinear ODE with parameters a, b, c, and d, where x is a positive real number. The particular solution of interest satisfies certain conditions and lies above the line bx and below a given function g(x). The problem is driving the person nuts and they are seeking help and suggestions. The equation comes from a model of multinational production and international trade. Some suggestions are given, such as finding an inverse function and using a power series approximation. Another solution is proposed, where f(x) is defined as a product of bx and g(x), and the resulting ODE for g(x) is easier to solve numerically. The conversation ends with a discussion on the asymptotic behavior of the functions
Stefania
I have trouble solving this first order nonlinear ODE :

[TEX] f'(x) = \frac{af(x)[f(x)-bx]}{(1-c+bdx)f(x)+bcx-df(x)^2}[/TEX]

where [TEX]a,b,c,d\in\Re_+[/TEX] are parameters and [TEX]x\in\Re_+[/TEX].

The particular solution I am looking for should be such that:
[TEX] f'(x) &>& 0\\
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x) &=&0\\
f(x)&\geq & bx[/TEX]

Also, the solution should lie above the line [TEX]bx[/TEX] and below the following function [TEX]g(x)[/TEX]:

[TEX]g(x)=\frac{-(c-1-bdx)+ \sqrt{(c-1-bdx)^2+4bcdx}}{2d}[/TEX]

This problem is driving me nut! Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your LaTex apparently hasn't worked...

Well, I see... how do I make it work by the way? I just followed the codes in other postings...

You need to have [tex] in lower case.

Ok I try again, but it really looks that it does not work. Anyways: the problem is the following:

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{af(x)[f(x)-bx]}{(1-c+bdx)f(x)+bcx-df(x)^2}[/tex]

where [tex]a,b,c,d\in\Re_+[/tex] and [tex]x\in\Re_+[/tex].

I look for a solution such that:
[tex]f'(x) > 0;\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x) =0;f(x)\geq bx[/tex]

The solution should lie above the straight line bx and below the following function g(x):

[tex]g(x)=\frac{-(c-1-bdx)+ \sqrt{(c-1-bdx)^2+4bcdx}}{2d}[/tex]

As I said above, any help would be appreciated.
(nad if this still does not work, I will just send the code)

I only see a direct solution with b=0 of the form:

[tex] x=Blogf(x)-dBf(x) [/tex] [tex] B=(1-c)a^{-1} [/tex]

or a=0 then f(x)=C=constant... but due to the NOn-linearity i think there's no analytic solution...

The parameters are all non-zero and positive, so the above does not solve my problem:frown:

I am happy with an approximated solution as well (power series type), I just don't manage to compute it!

Hopefully, my calculations are right here.

The original equation, with y=f(x), "simplifies" to:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{ay(y-bx)}{y - (dy+c)(y-bx)}[/tex]

If you try and flip the problem by seeking the inverse function you can try and solve

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{y - (dy+c)(y-bx)}{ay(y-bx)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{a(y-bx)} - \frac{dy+c}{ay}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{a(y-bx)} - \frac{c}{ay} - \frac{d}{a}[/tex]

Or if you prefer more "canonical" notation, let x->v, y->x:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{a(x-bv)} - \frac{c}{ax} - \frac{d}{a}[/tex]

This may be a easier to solve, or perhaps a little easier on the numerical method. i really don't know. Hopefully it may be of some use. Then again it could be a dead end.

P.S. Where did you find this equation?!

P.P.S

In the above, taking the first factor, assuming it to be the most relevant, dv/dx = 1/(a*(x-bv)), flipping "again" to give:

[tex]dy^{~}/dx = a(y^{~}-bx)[/tex]
solves to give
[tex]y^{~}=bx + \frac{b}{a} + C_1 e^{ax}[/tex]

Interesting to note the presence of the bx term here already. Could be a good sign that the first term was dominant?

Last edited:
Well, little story of the equation.

I am a PhD student in Economics, I am writing a model of multinational production and international trade. That equation is a pricing rule that comes from my model.

Actually, your transformed equation is the one that I get straight from the model, and I got stuck there.

Your idea of the dominant term seems interesting, and gives me a function which is above the straight line bx, which is what I want. Nonetheless, your solution does not respect my initial condition for the [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}=0[/tex], and the exponential term also makes it increase faster than the reference function g(x).

Do you have any idea of how I could approximate it around zero with a power series?

Thanks anyways

Do you need to find all unknowns a,b,c,d or do you know their values in cetain situations?

I know their values. I need an (approximated?) solution to the f(x) function in terms of the a,b,c,d coefficients. My ultimate goal is to study how f vary when I let the coefficients vary, and this is why I need a solution also in terms of the coefficients.

Stefania said:
The solution should lie above the straight line bx and below the following function g(x):

[tex]g(x)=\frac{-(c-1-bdx)+ \sqrt{(c-1-bdx)^2+4bcdx}}{2d}[/tex]

Judging from the form of that answer - roots to a polynomial, & working backwards, it could come from a quadratic form of the ODE. Something 'like':

[tex]A*(g(x))^2+B*g(x)+C=0[/tex]

[tex]A=d[/tex]

[tex]B=(c-1-bdx)[/tex]

[tex]C=-(bcx)[/tex]

It also appears that the 'dx' terms could actually be 'd*x'... A few thoughts...

desA

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. Yes, g(x) comes from that quadratic expression, but not f. I do not understand what your answer is telling me about f...

And yes: dx is actually d*x (here d is a parameter, like a,b,c)

Last edited:
The two functions you mentioned which f(x) is everywhere in between are both asymptotic to y=bx, so f(x) must also be. I'd suggest defining f(x)=bx g(x), and then deriving a differential equation for g(x). Factoring out the asymptotic behavior of functions often simplifies the DE.

sorry, I am a little slow on this...

I agree g(x) is asymptotic to bx, then how can the product bx*g(x) be also asymptotic to b(x)?

Also, I do not understand your suggestion completely: you suggest to use f'(x) and the equality f(x)=bx g(x) to derive a DE for g. Ok, but how does that make me factor out the asymptotic behavior from f?

I am saying that if f(x)~bx, then defining g(x)=f(x)/bx, we have g(x)~1, which is easier to deal with. You can find an ODE for g(x), and if you can solve this one, you can get f(x). In some cases this ODE would be simpler, but I'm not sure if that will be the case here. In any case, it will probably give you better results if you solve for g(x) numerically than if you try to directly solve for f(x) numerically.

Last edited:
Ok, the function that you call g(x) is another function, is not my function g(x), the one I gave the expression above.

Ok I'll try this way, thanks.

You may want to look into using a numeric solution to allow you to scope the behaviour of your function. This could give you some clues as to whether an analytic solution does indeed exist. Many times, it simply does not.

A numeric solution using a 'shooting method' is easily written in Matlab.

Engineers use this technique to solve non-linear ODE's where no analytic solution currently exists.

desA

Thank you desA. I tried with numerical methods, but the problem that I have with shooting is that at the initial condition [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x)=0[/tex], the function is ill-defined.

How do I scope the behaviour of my function? I believe numerical methods allow me to use the conditions I know (about f(x) being increasing and between bx and g(x)), but I do not know how!

Answering to StatusX: I followed your suggestion, but the equation does not get easier even factoring out the asymptotic behavior.

Everything seems to suggest that there is no exact solution to this equation.
Does anybody have a suggestion on how I could approximate the solution?

Stefania said:
Thank you desA. I tried with numerical methods, but the problem that I have with shooting is that at the initial condition [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x)=0[/tex], the function is ill-defined.

How do I scope the behaviour of my function? I believe numerical methods allow me to use the conditions I know (about f(x) being increasing and between bx and g(x)), but I do not know how!

As a first pass on the numerics, I would set the I/C to a small constant

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}f(x)=eps[/tex]

Set up the shooting method (ie. take an initial guess at f'(x) ), to at least get some sort of solution.

Then, I would aim to set the shooting estimate until some pre-determined criteria are met - say the assymptotic bounds on your problem. Do this graphically so that you can observe the effect of your changes. You do this by manually altering the shooting estimate... very, very difficult to try & automate this with very non-linear problems.

Once this method is stable, & the output makes some sense, then begin reducing 'eps' & working down the numeric solution until close to zero. Ideally, you could reduce to some very small finite number eg. 1e-9 which is 'close-enough' to zero.

This is what I meant by 'scoping the solution'. It is very much a 'hands-on' affair & does require some 'feel' for the problem at hand. Let us know how you get on. The trick lies in your graphical interaction with the emerging solution.

As a final step, once the final form of the solution begins to look obvious, you could then possibly re-formulate the solution into a much simpler function. A few passes using a non-linear curve-fitting package may allow you to develop a much-simplified final form. Remember, you are studying economics, after all.

desA

Last edited:

Related to Nonlinear ODE Solution for Positive Parameters and Limit Conditions

1. What is a nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that contains terms that are not linear with respect to the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation cannot be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants.

2. What are positive parameters in the context of nonlinear ODEs?

Positive parameters in the context of nonlinear ODEs refer to the coefficients or constants in the equation that have a positive value. These parameters can affect the behavior of the solution and are important in determining the stability and uniqueness of the solution.

3. What are limit conditions in nonlinear ODEs?

Limit conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are constraints placed on the solution of a nonlinear ODE at specific points or intervals. These conditions can be used to determine the specific solution that satisfies the given ODE.

4. How are positive parameters and limit conditions used to solve nonlinear ODEs?

Positive parameters and limit conditions are used to determine the specific solution of a nonlinear ODE. By setting the parameters and conditions, we can narrow down the possible solutions and find the one that satisfies the given equation. This can be done analytically or numerically using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical approximation methods.

5. What are some applications of nonlinear ODE solution with positive parameters and limit conditions?

Nonlinear ODEs with positive parameters and limit conditions have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as chemical reactions, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. Solving these equations can provide insights into the behavior of these systems and help make predictions and design improvements.