Nonlinear Optics Books: Recommendations for Robert Boyd Style

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking book recommendations for nonlinear optics research. They mentioned liking Nonlinear Optics by Robert Boyd and were looking for something similar. They also mentioned going through books on waveguides but were specifically interested in understanding nonlinear optics from a non-electrical engineering perspective. The recommendation given was "Nonlinear Optics" by Nicolaas Bloembergen, which covers the basics well but may be outdated in terms of modern developments.
fred3142
Hi,

I'm an electrical engineering student starting research in nonlinear optics, and I'd like some good books to do with nonlinear optics. I'm looking for book similar in style to Nonlinear Optics by Robert Boyd as I really quite like that book. Other books I've gone through include Optical Waves in Crystals by Yariv & Yeh as well as many other books that talk about waveguides, such as Fundamentals of optical waveguides by Katsunari Okamoto (however, I'm looking for something that explains non-linear optics well from an non-electrical engineering point of view, as I want to know how it works).

Recommendations much appreciated.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
Hmm, there is "Nonlinear Optics" by Nicolaas Bloembergen.

The good thing: It was written by one of the pioneers of non-linear optics. The bad thing: The book was written around 1965 and has not been revised significantly since then, so the contents and notation are very old fashioned. The book covers the basics very well and in an understandable manner, but of course all the modern developments are missing. It is pretty cheap, though.

Related to Nonlinear Optics Books: Recommendations for Robert Boyd Style

1. What is nonlinear optics?

Nonlinear optics is a branch of optics that studies the interactions between light and matter in materials that exhibit nonlinear optical properties. In nonlinear optics, the response of a material to light is not directly proportional to the intensity of the light, unlike in linear optics. Nonlinear optics is essential in understanding and manipulating light for various applications such as telecommunications, laser technology, and optical computing.

2. Who is Robert Boyd?

Robert Boyd is a renowned physicist and professor who has made significant contributions to the field of nonlinear optics. He is currently a Professor of Optics and Physics at the University of Rochester and is well-known for his research on nonlinear optics, quantum optics, and laser physics. He has also authored several books on nonlinear optics, including the popular textbook "Nonlinear Optics" which is widely used in universities around the world.

3. Why are recommendations for Robert Boyd style important?

Recommendations for Robert Boyd style are important because his style of writing is clear, concise, and easy to understand. His books on nonlinear optics are highly regarded for their comprehensive and organized approach to the subject. By following his style, readers can gain a better understanding of the complex concepts in nonlinear optics and apply them to their own research and studies.

4. What are some recommended books for Robert Boyd style?

Some recommended books for Robert Boyd style include "Nonlinear Optics" by Robert Boyd himself, "Nonlinear Optics: Principles and Applications" by Peter Powers, and "Nonlinear Optics in Telecommunications" by Govind Agrawal. These books follow a similar writing style to Boyd's and cover various topics in nonlinear optics, making them useful for both beginners and advanced readers.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about nonlinear optics in Robert Boyd style?

Yes, there are several online resources for learning about nonlinear optics in Robert Boyd style. The University of Rochester's Institute of Optics has a website dedicated to Boyd's research and publications, which includes lecture notes and other helpful resources. Additionally, there are online courses and video lectures available that follow Boyd's style and cover various topics in nonlinear optics.