Nonlinear Optics: Understanding NLO Chromophores and Polarization

In summary, the text talks about the polarization of a material in a NLO chromophore. They derive the equation for the second order polarization and explain that it will equal the first order polarization if the applied field equals the atomic electric field.
DanSandberg
Hi All - I am trying to immerse myself in NLO and purchased Robert W. Boyd's Third Edition on Nonlinear Optics. I'm already struggling just 3 pages into the book.

We are looking at the polarization of a material in a NLO chromophore, so:

P(t)=[tex]\epsilon[/tex] [X(1)E(t)+X(2)E2(t)+X(3)E3(t)...]

where P is the polarization at time t, X is the NLO susceptibility for the corresponding ordered response, and E(t) is the strength of the applied electric field.

The text goes on to say "One might expect that the lowest-order correction term X(2)E2(t) to be comparable to the linear response, X(1)E(t), when the amplitude of the applied field, E(t), is equal to the characteristic atomic electric field E(atomic)=e/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]0a02"

Then they derive a whole bunch of stuff, which I follow, but my question is why do we expect the second-order polarization to equal the first-order polarization when the applied field equals E(atomic)?

Why is that

if E(applied)=E(atomic) then
X(1)E(t)=X(2)E2(t)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's simply because in general, NLO effects happen when the E field is relatively large. But large compared to what? Large compared to the E field of the atom. And "naturally", we might expect the first NLO effects to manifest themselves are those related to the next order parameter X(2). (and as the field gets stronger, the next parameters come into play accordingly in order X(3), X(4), etc.) The text may go on to say that this is not necessarily the case.

But I don't have the book with me, so I'm not sure about the actual context of the phrase, and could be totally wrong.

Thank you Dr. Lots-O'Watts. The book didn't really mention that this assumption was weak but as long as I'm not missing something fundamental I can accept it and move on. Thanks again. -Dan

Related to Nonlinear Optics: Understanding NLO Chromophores and Polarization

1. What is nonlinear optics?

Nonlinear optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light in materials that have a nonlinear response to the electric field of the light. This means that the material's refractive index changes with changes in the intensity of the light, leading to phenomena such as frequency doubling and self-focusing.

2. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear optics?

Nonlinear optics has many practical applications, including telecommunications, laser technology, and medical imaging. It is also used in the development of new materials and devices, such as photonic crystals and optical switches.

3. How do nonlinearity and linearity differ in optics?

In linear optics, the material's response to the electric field of the light is directly proportional to the intensity of the light. In nonlinear optics, this relationship is not linear, and the material's response can be affected by factors such as the polarization and phase of the light.

4. What techniques are used to study nonlinear optics?

Some common techniques used in the study of nonlinear optics include spectroscopy, interferometry, and microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the properties of light and its interaction with materials at a microscopic level.

5. How is nonlinear optics related to other fields of science?

Nonlinear optics is closely related to other fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, materials science, and electrical engineering. Its principles are also applied in other areas, including nonlinear acoustics, nonlinear dynamics, and nonlinear optics.