Nonlinear systems of differential equations

In summary, the Rossler equations are defined as a system of three differential equations with initial values and time range given. The question asks for an estimate of tmax such that the difference between the solutions to two initial value problems is less than or equal to 1 for all t within the given time range. The suggested approach is to first solve the equations numerically, then linearize them and compare the results.
abbii42
The complete question I've been given:
The Rossler equations are formally defined as
dx/dt=−y−z
dy/dt=x+ay
dz/dt=b+z(x−c).
Let us suppose that a=0.2, b=0.2, c=5.7, x(0)=y(0)=z(0)=0, t∈[0,400].
Let v1(t) be the solution to the given initial value problem, and let v2(t) be the solution of the initial value problem with x(0)=0.001, y(0)=z(0)=0. Please find (analytically an estimate of the value of tmax>0 such that |v1(t)-v2(t)|<=1 for all t∈[0,tmax]. You may assume that max{|x(t)|,|y(t)|,|z(t)|}<=25 for all t.

Do I need to actually solve the equations and if so how?
If i don't then what do I need to do? would approximating the system by a linear one be in the right direction?

I've tried literally everything i can think of to solve the equations (I'm not going to put it all down here but suffice to say i got nowhere). But I'm not actually sure i should be solving them at all. If i estimate as a linear system I'm fairly sure I could solve it, that's not the problem, it's whether or not that would give me the answer i need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, this is what I'd do. You mentioned linearizing it right? Yeah well I'm not sure about that. So first, just solve it numerically to get the answer. Then linearize it and compute the answer and then compare the numerically computed answer to the linearized answer.

Related to Nonlinear systems of differential equations

1. What is a nonlinear system of differential equations?

A nonlinear system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the change in multiple variables over time, where the rate of change of each variable is dependent on the values of other variables. Unlike linear systems, the equations in a nonlinear system are not directly proportional to the variables, making them more complex to solve.

2. How are nonlinear systems of differential equations used in science?

Nonlinear systems of differential equations are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model complex systems, predict future behavior, and understand the relationships between different variables.

3. What are some techniques for solving nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving nonlinear systems of differential equations include numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, and analytical methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and power series solutions.

4. How do nonlinear systems of differential equations differ from linear systems?

The main difference between nonlinear and linear systems of differential equations is that the equations in a linear system are directly proportional to the variables, while the equations in a nonlinear system are not. This makes linear systems easier to solve and analyze, while nonlinear systems require more complex techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Nonlinear systems of differential equations have many practical applications, including weather forecasting, population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in control systems for technologies such as robotics, aerospace systems, and biological systems.