Normal and Tangential Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a motorcyclist traveling along a curved path with a radius of 450 ft. The motorcyclist increases speed by 1.10 \frac{ft}{s} and the goal is to determine the maximum constant speed when the maximum acceleration is 7.00 \frac{ft}{s^2}. To solve this, the equation a = √(at)2+(an)2 is used to find the total acceleration, and then an = \frac{v^2}{ρ} is used to solve for the speed, where ρ = 450 ft. After solving for an and v, the maximum constant speed can be determined.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

A motorcyclist travels around a curved path that has a radius of 450 ft. While traveling around the curved path, the motorcyclist increases speed by 1.10[itex]\frac{ft}{s}[/itex]. Determine the maximum constant speed of the motorcyclist when the maximum acceleration is 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

a = √(at)2+(an)2

at=[itex]\dot{v}[/itex]
an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the speed at a given acceleration, and the magnitude of the acceleration at a given speed.

But this part is a little confusing for me. I am thinking that I have to use the equation a = √(at)2+(an)2 and set a = 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex] and then I can solve for an...then solve for v in the equation an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex], where ρ = 450 ft? But I'm not sure. I will give it a try, though.

If anyone can weigh in on my approach, I would greatly appreciate it as always!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's how I'd interpret the problem - the total acceleration would be the vector sum of the tangential and centripetal accelerations.

Simon Bridge said:
That's how I'd interpret the problem - the total acceleration would be the vector sum of the tangential and centripetal accelerations.

Thanks. Worked out fine.

Related to Normal and Tangential Acceleration

1. What is the difference between normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the velocity vector, while tangential acceleration is the component that is parallel to the velocity vector.

2. How are normal and tangential acceleration related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the result of the combination of normal and tangential acceleration. The normal acceleration provides the necessary force to keep an object moving in a circular path, while the tangential acceleration determines the speed at which the object moves along that path.

3. How do you calculate normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration can be calculated using the formula an = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular path. Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = dv/dt, where dv is the change in velocity and dt is the change in time.

4. Can an object have zero normal or tangential acceleration?

Yes, an object can have zero normal or tangential acceleration if it is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, with no change in direction. In this case, both the normal and tangential components would be equal to zero.

5. How does normal and tangential acceleration affect an object's motion?

Normal and tangential acceleration both play a crucial role in determining an object's motion. The normal acceleration determines the direction of the object's motion, while the tangential acceleration determines the speed at which the object moves along that path. Together, they determine the object's overall acceleration and how it moves through space.