Normal distribution, find mean and SD

In summary: If you are having trouble getting decimal places of accuracy, you might try replacing the small number with a larger number. For example, if you are trying to get z1 to three decimal places, try z1 = .9999999999. Then you would solve for μ and σ.
Phox

Homework Statement

Suppose X is a normally distributed random variable. Suppose also that P ( X > 44.7 ) = 0.33 and P ( X < 46 ) = 0.7123. What is the mean and standard deviation of X ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(X<44.7) = 1-P(X>44.7) = 1-.33 = .67
P(X<44.7) = P((x-μ)/σ < (44.7-μ)/σ) = .67
P(Z < (44.7-μ)/σ) = .67

P(X<46) = P((x-μ)/σ < (46-μ)/σ) = P(Z < (46-μ)/σ) = .712

Looked up corresponding z-scores:
Z1 = .4
Z2 = .5
It's possible these are wrong

Setting up system of equations.

(44.7-μ)/σ = .4
(46-μ)/σ = .5

Solved using matrix -> rref

μ = 39.5
σ = 13

These answers aren't correct. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Phox said:

Homework Statement

Suppose X is a normally distributed random variable. Suppose also that P ( X > 44.7 ) = 0.33 and P ( X < 46 ) = 0.7123. What is the mean and standard deviation of X ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(X<44.7) = 1-P(X>44.7) = 1-.33 = .67
P(X<44.7) = P((x-μ)/σ < (44.7-μ)/σ) = .67
P(Z < (44.7-μ)/σ) = .67

P(X<46) = P((x-μ)/σ < (46-μ)/σ) = P(Z < (46-μ)/σ) = .712

Looked up corresponding z-scores:
Z1 = .4
Z2 = .5
It's possible these are wrong

Setting up system of equations.

(44.7-μ)/σ = .4
(46-μ)/σ = .5

Solved using matrix -> rref

μ = 39.5
σ = 13

These answers aren't correct. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

The problem is premature rounding. Just because data is given to a small number of significant figures does NOT mean that you should work through the problem with a small number of figures. The accurate values of z1 and z2 are
z1 = .4399131657 and z2 = .5601164657. If you use these you will get
μ = 39.94233436 ≈ 39.9 and σ = 10.81501090 ≈ 10.8 . Note that we round off at the end, after doing all the calculations!

Thank you!

I guess I'm not really sure how to use my z-score table correctly. I don't know how you get z1 and z2 to that many decimal places of accuracy

Phox said:
Thank you!

I guess I'm not really sure how to use my z-score table correctly. I don't know how you get z1 and z2 to that many decimal places of accuracy

I just used a computer package (Maple in my case). You can use the EXCEL spreadsheet (Solver tool) or the on-line program Wolfram Alpha. Some scientific hand-held calculators give similar accuracy.

Related to Normal distribution, find mean and SD

1. What is normal distribution?

Normal distribution, also known as Gaussian distribution, is a statistical concept that describes the distribution of a continuous variable in a symmetrical bell-shaped curve. It is characterized by its mean, which represents the center of the curve, and its standard deviation, which measures the spread of the data around the mean.

2. How do you find the mean of a normal distribution?

The mean of a normal distribution is simply the average of all the data points. To find the mean, add up all the values and divide by the total number of data points. This is also known as the arithmetic mean or the expected value.

3. How is standard deviation related to normal distribution?

Standard deviation is a measure of the spread of the data around the mean in a normal distribution. It tells us how much the data deviates from the mean. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data points are closely clustered around the mean, while a larger standard deviation means that the data is more spread out.

4. How do you calculate standard deviation in a normal distribution?

To calculate the standard deviation in a normal distribution, you need to first find the mean. Then, for each data point, subtract the mean and square the result. Next, find the average of all these squared differences. Finally, take the square root of this average to get the standard deviation.

5. Can you have a normal distribution with a negative standard deviation?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the spread of the data. In a normal distribution, the standard deviation cannot be negative because it measures the distance from the mean, which is always a positive value.