What Is the Probability of Combined Lengths of Steel Cylinders?

In summary: Then the combined length will be at least 200 inch.The mean is 6.5 inchThe standard deviation is 2* \sigma = 2*0.08944 = ... inchNow you don't have the standard deviation and z anymore, but the mean and sigma and x.So you want P(x>200 inch) = 0This is a bit like what I did, except I used 0, which was wrong, so I should use "infinity" instead?So I should compute: P(0 \le x \le 6.55) = P( \frac{6.55-6.5}{2 \sqrt{.008}} \le
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

A certain industrial process yields a large number of steel cylinders whose lengths are approximately normally distributed with a mean of 3.25 in. and a variance of 0.008 in2. If two cylinders are chosen at random and placed end to end, what is the probability that their combined length is less than 6.55 in.?

Homework Equations

normal distribution: [tex] \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{ \frac{(x- \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} }
[/tex]

CDF: integrate

[itex] \mu = [/itex] mean
[itex] \sigma = [/itex] standard deviation
[itex] \sigma ^2 = [/itex] variance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if a variance of 0.008 in2 implies [itex] \sigma = \sqrt{.008} [/itex] or [itex] \sigma = .008 [/itex].

I also don't know how to set up the problem since there are two cylinders whose length together is less than 6.55. Do I just divide 6.55 in half? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

A certain industrial process yields a large number of steel cylinders whose lengths are approximately normally distributed with a mean of 3.25 in. and a variance of 0.008 in2. If two cylinders are chosen at random and placed end to end, what is the probability that their combined length is less than 6.55 in.?

Homework Equations

normal distribution: [tex] \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{ \frac{(x- \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} }
[/tex]

CDF: integrate

[itex] \mu = [/itex] mean
[itex] \sigma = [/itex] standard deviation
[itex] \sigma ^2 = [/itex] variance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if a variance of 0.008 in2 implies [itex] \sigma = \sqrt{.008} [/itex] or [itex] \sigma = .008 [/itex].
As you noted, the variance is [itex]\sigma^2[/itex], so a variance of 0.008 in2 means [itex]\sigma^2 = 0.008~\mathrm{in}^2[/itex].
I also don't know how to set up the problem since there are two cylinders whose length together is less than 6.55. Do I just divide 6.55 in half? :confused:
The length of each cylinder — let's call them x1 and x2 — is a random variable with the given distribution. Their combined length z=x1+x2 is a new random variable with a related but different distribution. The problem is now asking you to find P(z ≤ 6.55 in).

So I normalize by calculating [tex] P(0 \le x \le 6.55) = P( \frac{0-3.25}{.008} \le Z \le \frac{6.55-3.25}{.008} = P( -406.25 \le Z \le 412.5) [/tex]

But my Z tables only go up to 4, which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Am I?

Hi Arcana! :smile:

"z" may be an unlucky choice for the name of the variable.
Your Z tables are tables for the "standard" normal distribution (mean zero and standard deviation of 1).
Typically you first calculate [itex]z = {x - \mu \over \sigma}[/itex] and that is what you look up in your tables.

But before you do that, you need to think up what the distribution is of X1 + X2, since you are taking 2 cylinders.
Do you know how to add 2 independent normal distributions?

I like Serena said:
Hi Arcana! :smile:

Your Z tables are tables for the "standard" normal distribution (mean zero and standard deviation of 1).
Typically you first calculate [itex]z = {x - \mu \over \sigma}[/itex] and that is what you look up in your tables.

But before you do that, you need to think up what the distribution is of X1 + X2, since you are taking 2 cylinders.
Do you know how to add 2 independent normal distributions?

Not a clue!

And didn't I "standardize" the z by the calculation I made, so I could use the z table? I thought that was what that step was for.

ArcanaNoir said:
Not a clue!

And didn't I "standardize" the z by the calculation I made, so I could use the z table? I thought that was what that step was for.

Aah yes, you did standardize the z. My mistake. :rolleyes:
You just used the wrong distribution.
Oh, and if you "standardize" you need to divide by sigma, not by the variance.

If you have 2 cylinders that each has a mean of 3.25 inch, together their mean won't be 3.25 inch, but 6.5 inch.

What you need to know is that the sum of 2 independent normal distributions is again a normal distribution.
Its mean is the sum of the means, and its variance is the sum of the variances.

Last edited:
So I should compute: [tex] P(0 \le x \le 6.55) = P( \frac{0-6.5}{2 \sqrt{.008}} \le Z \le \frac{6.55-6.5}{2 \sqrt{.008}}) = P(-36.336 \le Z \le 0.2795) [/tex] ?

Does that mean I should calculate (z=0.2795) = 61% ? (approximately, I'll use my real calculator and more detailed z table later)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Oops! I guess I should have used y.

vela said:
Oops! I guess I should have used y.

Yeah, I mixed up the use of z, especially since Arcana did not define Z herself. :wink:

ArcanaNoir said:
So I should compute: [tex] P(0 \le x \le 6.55) = P( \frac{0-6.5}{2 \sqrt{.008}} \le Z \le \frac{6.55-6.5}{2 \sqrt{.008}}) = P(-36.336 \le Z \le 0.2795) [/tex] ?

Does that mean I should calculate (z=0.2795) = 61% ? (approximately, I'll use my real calculator and more detailed z table later)

I was just going to answer that you had it right...
But then you changed it, and now it's not right anymore. :frown:

I like Serena said:
I was just going to answer that you had it right...
But then you changed it, and now it's not right anymore. :frown:

Crap. But if [itex] \sigma ^2 = .008 [/itex] then [itex] \sigma = 0.08944 [/itex] so I thought to add [itex] \sigma + \sigma = 2 \sqrt{ \sigma ^2} [/itex], not [itex] \sqrt{ 2 \sigma^2} [/itex]

ArcanaNoir said:
Crap. But if [itex] \sigma ^2 = .008 [/itex] then [itex] \sigma = 0.08944 [/itex] so I thought to add [itex] \sigma + \sigma = 2 \sqrt{ \sigma ^2} [/itex], not [itex] \sqrt{ 2 \sigma^2} [/itex]

Yeah, well, you need to add the variances (which you did) and not the standard deviations.

Why?

ArcanaNoir said:
Why?

Hmm, you may want to take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_of_normally_distributed_random_variables

It explains how you add 2 independent normal distributions and it also gives 3 proofs why this is so.More intuitively you can think of it as follows.

In the worst case scenario both cylinders are longer than they should be, or they are both shorter than they should be.
In the worst case scenarios the standard deviations would add up (this is when the lengths of the cylinders are "correlated" and not independent).

However, in reality there is a good chance that when one cylinder is longer the other is shorter, meaning the new standard deviation will be less than the sum of the 2 standard deviations.

It turns out that in reality the variances add up instead of the standard deviations.

So it would be close to 65% like I said before I changed it?

Yep! :smile:
It would be 65.3%.

Thank you very much! :)

Related to What Is the Probability of Combined Lengths of Steel Cylinders?

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a Gaussian distribution, is a probability distribution that is commonly used in statistics to represent real-valued random variables. It is characterized by its bell-shaped curve and is symmetrical around its mean. Many natural phenomena and human characteristics follow a normal distribution.

2. How is a normal distribution calculated?

A normal distribution is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the mean and standard deviation of a set of data. The formula is:
f(x) = (1/σ√2π) * e^(-(x-μ)^2 / 2σ^2)
where x is the variable, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

3. What is the purpose of using a normal distribution?

The purpose of using a normal distribution is to model and analyze data that follows a bell-shaped curve. This allows for easier interpretation and prediction of the data, as well as making statistical tests and calculations more accurate. It is also used in many industries, such as finance and manufacturing, for quality control and decision making.

4. How is a normal distribution different from other types of distributions?

A normal distribution differs from other types of distributions in that it is symmetrical and has a specific shape (bell-curve) that is determined by its mean and standard deviation. Other distributions, such as the exponential or uniform distribution, may have different shapes and characteristics. Additionally, many natural phenomena and human characteristics tend to follow a normal distribution, making it a commonly used model.

5. What is the 68-95-99.7 rule for the normal distribution?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, states that for a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within 1 standard deviation of the mean, 95% within 2 standard deviations, and 99.7% within 3 standard deviations. This means that the majority of the data falls within a specific range from the mean, making it a useful tool for understanding and analyzing data.

Back