Normal Distribution: Understanding the Formula & Terms

In summary, the conversation is about the gaussian normal distribution and its formula. The e^-x^2 term in the formula ensures the bell shape and the expression was formulated through the central limit theorem. The exponent in the term e ^ -(x-xbar)^2/2sigma^2 measures how far the sample average is from the mean in terms of the number of standard deviations squared. The derivation of the normal approximation to binomial distribution can be found in statistics and probability textbooks.
O.J.
Hello again
So we are studying the gaussian normal distribution and what I understand about it is that it helps picture many of the natural phenomena where the basica idea is probabilities are equally distributed around the average. I understand that the e^-x^2 term in the formula ensures the bell shape. But Can anyone give me some insight on how the expression was formulated and what each term means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the wikipedia articles for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_Distribution" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The article about the central limit theorem was helpful. From reading that and a couple of other articles about the central limit theorem I understood that increasing the sample size from a population sample makes the average of the sample or Xbar closer to the population average and drives the st. dev. to zero. I was inspecting the gaussian PDF today and what I also observed is that in the term e ^ -(x-xbar)^2/2sigma^2, the exponent is basically measuring how far the sample average is from the mean in term of the number of standard deviations squared. But, how this whole thing was put together, I would love to know. I am into little details and derivations. If anyone can help shed some light on this, please do.

You can derive it by taking the limit of a binomial distribution.

care to elaborate a bit, i really don't know where this is going? link probably?

Wikipedia never goes into details. I don't even know how that approximation is related to the normal distribution formula. Can you show me a link where the procedure for the derivation is clearly explained?

the derivation of normal approximation to binomial is in any statistics and probability textbook, so try a library if you can't find it on the internet

Related to Normal Distribution: Understanding the Formula & Terms

1. What is normal distribution?

Normal distribution, also known as Gaussian distribution, is a statistical concept that describes the frequency distribution of a set of data. It is a bell-shaped curve where most of the data falls near the mean and decreases as it moves towards the tails of the curve.

2. What is the formula for normal distribution?

The formula for normal distribution is: f(x) = (1/(σ√(2π))) * e^(-((x-μ)^2)/(2σ^2)) where μ is the mean, σ is the standard deviation, and e is the base of natural logarithms.

3. What are the key terms used in normal distribution?

The key terms used in normal distribution are mean, standard deviation, and z-score. The mean is the average value of the data, the standard deviation measures the spread of the data, and the z-score represents the number of standard deviations a data point is from the mean.

4. How is normal distribution used in real life?

Normal distribution is used in various fields such as finance, psychology, and biology to analyze and interpret data. For example, it is used to model stock prices, study human intelligence, and analyze the height and weight of a population.

5. What are the characteristics of a normal distribution?

The characteristics of a normal distribution include a symmetrical and bell-shaped curve, a mean, median, and mode that are equal, and 68%, 95%, and 99.7% of the data falling within one, two, and three standard deviations from the mean, respectively.