Normal Extensions and Normal Subgroups

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conjugate subgroups and their relationship with normal extensions. The individual provides a summary of their answers to questions 1-3, and then talks about their uncertainty with question 4 and their struggle with question 5. They eventually come up with a solution to question 5 and discuss the normality of subgroups in relation to it.
Kiwi1
View attachment 5929

I have answered Q1-Q3. I am unsure of my answer for Q4 and am stuck on Q5.

Notation: \(I^*=Gal(K:I)\). That is the subgroup of G=Gal(K:F) that fixes I.

Q4.
I2 is conjugate to I1.
iff \(\exists i \in G:I_2=i(I_1)\)
iff \( I^*_2=[i(I_1)]^*=iI_1^*i^{-1}\) by Q3.
iff \( I^*_2=iI_1^*i^{-1}\)
iff \( I^*_2=\phi_i(I_1^*)\) where \(\phi_i\) is the function conjugate by i.
iff \(I_1^*\) is conjugate to \(I_2^*\)

Q5. I have lots of ideas but keep going in circles.
Suppose \(I_2\) is a normal extension of \(I_1\) then

\(I_2\) is the root field of some a(x) over \(I_1\)

and we have the isomorphism \(\phi \) defined by:

\(I_2 \cong \frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\)

Now I gloss over the fact that phi is an isomorphism when I need an automorphism. I take phi to mean that I_1 and I_2 are conjugate. Therefore using Q4 \(I^*_2\) and the fixer of the RHS of my isomorphism are conjugate. That is there exists an automorphism pi such that:

\(I_2^* \cong \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^*\)

again I am glossing over the difference between isomorphism and automorphism.

Now since these two fixers are conjugate I can write

there exists \(x \in I_1\) such that \(I^*_2 \cong x \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^* x^{-1}\)

Now x and \(x^{-1}\) both fix the coefficients of a(x) and \(I_1^*[x]\) so:

there exists \(x \in I_1\) such that \(I^*_2 \cong \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^* \)

So \(I^*_2\) is a normal subgroup of \(I^*_1\)

I know I have 'cheated' at various points but am I on the right track to finding a solution? I need to reverse the order of my argument so that this argument complements Q1.

Attachments

• alg.png
    alg.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it!

Suppose \(I_2\) is a normal extension of \(I_1\). Then there exists a(x) such that:

\(I_2 \cong \frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>} \supseteq I_1\). Now this isomorphism fixes \(I_1\) so by Theorem (i) the isomorphism is in fact an automorphism.

So by problem 4:
\(I_2^* \cong \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^* \subseteq I_1^*\) is an automorphism so:

\(I_2^* \subseteq I_1^*\) and \(I_2^* = \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^*\)

but is \(I_2^*\) a NORMAL subgroup?

Let \(\pi\) be any \(\pi \in I_1^*\) then

\(\pi I_2^* \pi^{-1} = \pi \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^* \pi^{-1}= \left( \pi \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)\right)^* \) (using problem 3)

but \(\pi\) fixes all \(I_1\) and therefore fixes the coefficients of \(I_1[x]\) and a(x), therefore:

\(\pi I_2^* \pi^{-1} = \left(\frac{I_1[x]}{<a(x)>}\right)^* = I_2^*\)

so indeed \(I_2^*\) a NORMAL subgroup of \(I_1^*\). The reverse direction follows directly from Question 1.

Related to Normal Extensions and Normal Subgroups

1. What is a normal extension?

A normal extension is a type of field extension in abstract algebra where the base field contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is an extension field where every element in the base field has a conjugate in the extension field.

2. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the group. In other words, if the group is G and the subgroup is H, then for any element g in G, the conjugate of H by g, denoted gHg^-1, is still a subset of H.

3. How are normal extensions and normal subgroups related?

Normal extensions and normal subgroups are related in that a normal subgroup of a group G corresponds to a normal extension of the field that is generated by the elements of G. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory.

4. What are some applications of normal extensions and normal subgroups?

Normal extensions and normal subgroups have many applications in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and Galois theory. They are used to study the structure of groups and fields, and have applications in cryptography and coding theory.

5. How do you determine if a subgroup is normal?

To determine if a subgroup is normal, one can use the definition of a normal subgroup to check if it is invariant under conjugation. Alternatively, one can use the normal subgroup test, which states that a subgroup H of a group G is normal if and only if it is the kernel of a homomorphism from G to another group.