Normal ordering of bosonic commuators

• Thread starter Idoubt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, normal ordering is a method of arranging operators in a product of bosonic operators such that all creation operators are on the left and all annihilation operators are on the right. This allows for the commutation of operators within the normal ordering. However, normal ordering is not a linear operation and can lead to contradictions when used with the commutator of operators. The correct way to think about normal ordering is to consider it as a rearrangement of operators rather than a mathematical operation.
Idoubt
I am trying to understand wick's theorem and normal ordering mostly from Peskin and Schroeder. Now I have this problem with how normal ordering is defined. It seems to me that if you take the normal ordering of a commutator it should always be zero.

Here is what I understand normal ordering to be. If there is some operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] which is a product of bosonic operators [itex]a_p[/itex] and [itex] a_p^{\dagger}[/itex] , then normal ordering of of [itex] \hat{A}[/itex] is [itex] N(\hat{A})[/itex] where the creation operators are all moved to the left and the annihilation operators are all moved to the right. This essentially would mean that inside a normal ordering all operators can be commuted. For example,
[tex] N(a_pa_k^{\dagger}) = N(a_k^{\dagger}a_p) = a_k^{\dagger}a_p [/tex]

Now taking the normal ordering of a commutator,
[tex] N([a_p,a_k^{\dagger}]) = N(a_pa_k^{\dagger} - a_k^{\dagger}a_p) = N(a_pa_k^{\dagger}) -N(a_k^{\dagger}a_p) = 0 [/tex]

But if I had used the fact that the commutator of [itex] [a_p,a_k^{\dagger}] = \delta^{(3)}(p-k) [/itex] which is a c-number, then

[tex] N([a_p,a_k^{\dagger}]) = N(\delta^{(3)}(p-k)) = \delta^{(3)}(p-k) [/tex]

So there is a contradiction. Can someone explain to me what is the right way to think about normal ordering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Normal ordering is not linear:
[tex]N(a a^\dagger) = N(1 + a^\dagger a) = N(1) + N(a^\dagger a) = 1 + a^\dagger a \neq a^\dagger a[/tex]

Related to Normal ordering of bosonic commuators

1. What is the purpose of normal ordering in bosonic commutators?

The purpose of normal ordering in bosonic commutators is to rearrange the operators in a way that simplifies calculations and makes it easier to determine the expectation value of certain expressions. It also helps in identifying the physical significance of the operators involved.

2. How is normal ordering different from time ordering in quantum field theory?

Normal ordering is a specific type of time ordering, where operators are arranged in a way that the creation operators come before the annihilation operators. This is different from time ordering, where the operators are arranged in the order of increasing time arguments.

3. Can normal ordering be applied to fermionic commutators as well?

No, normal ordering is only applicable to bosonic commutators. In fermionic commutators, the operators anticommute instead of commuting, and normal ordering does not have the same significance.

4. How does normal ordering affect the vacuum energy in quantum field theory?

Normal ordering removes the vacuum energy contribution from the Hamiltonian, resulting in a new vacuum state with zero energy. This is important in quantum field theory as it eliminates the infinite energy associated with the vacuum state.

5. Is normal ordering a unique process or are there different ways to perform it?

Normal ordering is not a unique process, and there are different ways to perform it depending on the specific expression or operator involved. However, the final result and physical significance should remain the same regardless of the method used.