Normal stress boundary condition at fluid/vacuum interface

In summary, the conversation discusses the normal stress boundary condition at an interface between an inviscid incompressible fluid and a vacuum, with a constant tension assumed. The correct equation for the normal vector is determined, and the equations for the stress vector in both the inviscid and viscous cases are discussed. The approach for considering the case with tension in the membrane is also briefly mentioned.
Type1civ

Homework Statement

Stuck on two similar problems:

"State the normal stress boundary condition at an interface
[tex] x_3-h(x_1,x_2,t)=0[/tex]between an invisicid incompressible fluid and a vacuum. You may assume that the interface has a constant tension."

The second question in the same but the fluid is viscous.

2. The attempt at a solution
I worked out the normal to the surface to be:[tex]\mathbf{\hat n}=\frac{\partial h}{\partial t} -\mathbf{\hat x_3}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}\mathbf{\hat x_1}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2}\mathbf{\hat x_2}[/tex]so then the normal stress at the boundary much be equal and opposite from both media? But since one of the medium is a vacuum the stress will be zero. so:
[tex]\frac{\partial h}{\partial t} -\frac{\partial w}{\partial x_3}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_2}=0[/tex]
where I am using the velocity of the fluid so that [itex]\mathbf{u}=(u,v,w)[/itex].

Not really sure how much of this is the correct line of thought, and also not sure how the viscosity should impact my result...

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not the correct equation for a normal to the surface.

A differential position vector within the surface (i.e., tangent to the surface) is given by:

[tex]\vec{ds}=\vec{i_1}dx_1+\vec{i_2}dx_2+\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}dx_1+\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}dx_2\right)\vec{i_3}=\left(\vec{i_1}+\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\vec{i_3}
\right)dx_1
+\left(\vec{i_2}+\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\vec{i_3}\right)dx_2[/tex]
Do you know how to use this relationship to get the equation for a unit normal to the surface? Hint: It involves taking a cross product.

Chet

Thanks for the reply,

The normal is just [tex]\mathbf{n}=\frac{\nabla F}{|\nabla F|}[/tex]
isn't it? (where F is the function of the surface) so with my function (but no time dependence) my normal vector would be:
[tex]\mathbf{\hat n}=-\mathbf{\hat x_3}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}\mathbf{\hat x_1}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2}\mathbf{\hat x_2}[/tex]
where i haven't normalized it. Then I thought I could include the time dependence in the way I did in my original post, is this not correct?

Type1civ said:
Thanks for the reply,

The normal is just [tex]\mathbf{n}=\frac{\nabla F}{|\nabla F|}[/tex]
isn't it? (where F is the function of the surface) so with my function (but no time dependence) my normal vector would be:
[tex]\mathbf{\hat n}=-\mathbf{\hat x_3}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}\mathbf{\hat x_1}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2}\mathbf{\hat x_2}[/tex]
where i haven't normalized it. Then I thought I could include the time dependence in the way I did in my original post, is this not correct?

Oop sorry. You were right. But, the normal should not involve the time derivative. Besides, in your original post, the time derivative did not even multiply a unit vector.

You have to identify which side of the interface the fluid resides on. You are going to need to provide an expression for the unit normal drawn from the side of the interface that the fluid resides on to the side of the interface that the vacuum resides on. My guess that it is minus your normal (with a positive sign in front of the z unit vector). You also need to divide your normal by its magnitude to get the unit normal.

I think you should first consider the case where there is no tension in the membrane. Why? If you can't do that case, then you certainly won't be able to do the case with tension in the membrane.

According to the Cauchy stress relationship, the stress vector at the interface is equal to the stress tensor dotted with the unit normal. In the case of an inviscid fluid, the stress tensor is equal to the fluid pressure times the identity (metric) tensor. So, what does that give you for the stress vector, and, since that must match the zero pressure vacuum on the other side of the interface, what does that give you for the boundary condition.

Next, what is the dot product of the stress tensor and the unit normal for the more general case of a Newtonian fluid? First express this in terms of the σ's, and then substitute the velocity gradient terms.

To do the cases where the membrane has tension, there are different ways of approaching this. One involves taking a little curved surface "window" element with sides dx1 and dx2, and doing a force balance on this surface window. You may have learned how to do this a different way. Another approach?

Chet

Likes 1 person
Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I need to get this done tonight and was worried that I had no chance of doing so.

Chestermiller said:
According to the Cauchy stress relationship, the stress vector at the interface is equal to the stress tensor dotted with the unit normal. In the case of an inviscid fluid, the stress tensor is equal to the fluid pressure times the identity (metric) tensor. So, what does that give you for the stress vector, and, since that must match the zero pressure vacuum on the other side of the interface, what does that give you for the boundary condition.

Chet

Ok, so I would just end up with:
[tex]
\mathbf{t}\cdot\mathbf{n}=(-1+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2})p=0
[/tex]
Since the components of stress tensor [itex]\mathbf{t}[/itex] are simply the pressure times the identity matrix.

Chestermiller said:
To do the cases where the membrane has tension, there are different ways of approaching this. One involves taking a little curved surface "window" element with sides dx1 and dx2, and doing a force balance on this surface window. You may have learned how to do this a different way. Another approach?
I think for a viscous fluid I can simply add a a term which relates to the viscosity of the fluid so that my stress tensor is the same as before but with an extra an term relating to the shear stress added on: [tex]
\mu\bigg(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\bigg)
[/tex]
Does this sound right?

Last edited:
Sorry I have mixed notation here I should have written my normal dotted with my stress tensor as
[tex]
t_{ij}n_j=0
[/tex]

You showed correctly that, if there is no tension in the membrane, the fluid pressure at the boundary is zero for an inviscid fluid.

Now, to be more precise, the unit normal drawn from the fluid side of the membrane to the vacuum side of the membrane is:
[tex]\vec{n}_{fv}=\frac{\vec{i}_3-(∂h/∂x_1)\vec{i}_1-(∂h/∂x_2)\vec{i}_2}{\sqrt{1+(∂h/∂x_1)^2+(∂h/∂x_2)^2}}[/tex]
Conversely, the unit normal drawn from the vacuum side of the membrane to the fluid side of the membrane is:
[tex]\vec{n}_{vf}=-\frac{\vec{i}_3-(∂h/∂x_1)\vec{i}_1-(∂h/∂x_2)\vec{i}_2}{\sqrt{1+(∂h/∂x_1)^2+(∂h/∂x_2)^2}}[/tex]

The stress tensor on the fluid side of the membrane is given by:
[tex]\vec{t}_f=-p(\vec{i}_1\vec{i}_1+\vec{i}_2\vec{i}_2+\vec{i}_3\vec{i}_3)+μ\left(
\frac{∂u_k}{∂x_j}+\frac{∂u_j}{∂x_k}\right)\vec{i}_k\vec{i}_j[/tex]
where Einstein summation is implied in the second term.

The stress tensor on the vacuum side of the membrane is given by:
[tex]\vec{t}_v=\vec{0}[/tex]
The stress vector exerted by an inviscid fluid upon the fluid side of the membrane is given by [tex]\vec{t}_f\centerdot \vec{n}_{vf}=p\vec{n}_{fv}[/tex]
This must equal the stress vector exerted by the vacuum on the vacuum side of the membrane which is given by [tex]\vec{t}_v\centerdot \vec{n}_{fv}=\vec{0}[/tex]
Therefore, p = 0 at the boundary for an inviscid fluid (no membrane stress).

For a viscous Newtonian fluid, the normal component of the stress vector exerted by the fluid upon the fluid side of the membrane is given by:
[itex]\vec{n}_{vf} \centerdot \vec{t}_f\centerdot \vec{n}_{vf}=-p+2μ\frac{\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)^2\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_1}+
\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)^2\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_2}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_3}+\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_2}+\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_1}\right)
-\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_3}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_1}\right)
-\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_3}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_2}\right)}{1+(∂h/∂x_1)^2+(∂h/∂x_2)^2}[/itex]

Since the normal component of stress on the vacuum side is zero, we must have that:
[tex]p=2μ\frac{\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)^2\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_1}+
\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)^2\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_2}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_3}+\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_2}+\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_1}\right)
-\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_1}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_1}{∂x_3}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_1}\right)
-\left(\frac{∂h}{∂x_2}\right)\left(
\frac{∂u_2}{∂x_3}+\frac{∂u_3}{∂x_2}\right)}{1+(∂h/∂x_1)^2+(∂h/∂x_2)^2}[/tex]
This is the boundary condition if the membrane has no stress in it.

Doing the problem with membrane stress included is a little more challanging, and I'm going to stop here for now to let you digest what I've written. Any thoughts on how to include the membrane stress.

Chet

Likes 1 person

Related to Normal stress boundary condition at fluid/vacuum interface

What is a normal stress boundary condition at a fluid/vacuum interface?

A normal stress boundary condition at a fluid/vacuum interface is a mathematical representation of the force that is exerted on a fluid by a vacuum or vice versa. It describes the transfer of momentum between the fluid and the vacuum at the interface.

Why is the normal stress boundary condition important in fluid dynamics?

The normal stress boundary condition is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids at the interface with a vacuum. It is a fundamental part of fluid dynamics and is used in many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics and fluid flow simulations.

How is the normal stress boundary condition determined?

The normal stress boundary condition is determined by considering the balance of forces at the fluid/vacuum interface. It takes into account factors such as the pressure and velocity of the fluid, as well as the properties of the vacuum, to calculate the force exerted on the fluid and vice versa.

What happens if the normal stress boundary condition is not satisfied?

If the normal stress boundary condition is not satisfied, it means that there is an imbalance of forces at the fluid/vacuum interface. This can lead to unpredictable behavior of the fluid and can affect the accuracy of fluid dynamics calculations.

How does the normal stress boundary condition differ from other boundary conditions in fluid dynamics?

The normal stress boundary condition differs from other boundary conditions in fluid dynamics, such as the no-slip condition or the free surface condition, in that it specifically deals with the transfer of momentum at the interface between a fluid and a vacuum. It is a more general condition that can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, while other boundary conditions are more specific to certain situations.