Normal Stress Help: Find Normal Stress for 15kN & 20kN Plate of AISI 1010 Steel

In summary: Finally, to find the normal strain, you can use the formula for strain: ε = δ/L, where ε is normal strain, δ is the deformation, and L is the original length. In this case, since the plate is not changing in length, the normal strain would be 0 for both horizontal and vertical directions. Therefore, the deformation would also be 0. In summary, a 12cm X 12cm square plate of AISI 1010 steel with a thickness of 5mm is subjected to normal tensile forces of 15 kN and 20 kN on the top and right edges. By converting the forces to Newtons and the dimensions to square meters, the normal stress on the top edge
x31fighter

Homework Statement

A 12cm X 12 cm square plate of AISI 1010 steel (E=200 GPa) us subjected to normal tensile forces of 15 kN and 20 kN on the top and right edges as shown in figure P22. The thickness of the plate is 5mm, and the left and bottom edges of the plate are fixed. Find the normal strain and deformation of the plate in the horizontal and vertical directions.

Homework Equations

Normal Stress = P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not asking for help for the entire problem just help finding the normal stress for one.
I am assuming P is Pascals, so I believe that P is the same Newtons? 15kN = 15000N = 15000P
Is that part correct?
Then I would just divide that by the area 144 cm.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your assumption is correct. P represents normal force in Newtons and you can convert 15 kN to 15000 N. However, the area should be in square meters, not square centimeters. So you need to convert the given dimensions of the plate from centimeters to meters, which would be 0.12 m x 0.12 m = 0.0144 m^2. Then you can use the formula for normal stress to find the stress on the top edge, which would be 15000 N/ 0.0144 m^2 = 1.04 MPa. Repeat the same process for the right edge, using the force of 20 kN.

Related to Normal Stress Help: Find Normal Stress for 15kN & 20kN Plate of AISI 1010 Steel

1. What is normal stress?

Normal stress is a type of mechanical stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of an object. It is often measured in units of newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or pascals (Pa).

2. How do I find the normal stress for a specific material?

To find the normal stress for a specific material, you will need to know the material's elastic modulus (E) and the applied force (F). The formula for normal stress is stress = force/area. Simply divide the force by the cross-sectional area of the material to find the normal stress.

3. What is the cross-sectional area of a plate?

The cross-sectional area of a plate is the area of the two-dimensional shape formed by the edges of the plate. For a rectangular plate, the cross-sectional area is equal to the length multiplied by the width. For a circular plate, the cross-sectional area is equal to π multiplied by the radius squared.

4. What is AISI 1010 steel?

AISI 1010 steel is a low-carbon steel alloy that is commonly used in structural applications. It is known for its good weldability and formability, making it a popular choice for a variety of industries including automotive, construction, and manufacturing.

5. How do I find the normal stress for a 15kN and 20kN plate of AISI 1010 steel?

To find the normal stress for a 15kN and 20kN plate of AISI 1010 steel, you will need to know the elastic modulus of the steel and the cross-sectional area of the plate. Once you have this information, you can use the formula stress = force/area to calculate the normal stress for each plate. Make sure to use consistent units for the force and area in order to get an accurate result.