Normal subgroups of a product of simple groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that every normal subgroup of the direct product of two simple groups can be isomorphic to the direct product itself, one of the two simple groups, or the trivial subgroup. The participants explore the use of the first isomorphism theorem and the requirement of simplicity in understanding this concept. They also discuss the normality of subgroups and the role of homomorphisms in this proof.
QIsReluctant

Homework Statement

Let G = G1 × G2 be the direct product of two simple groups. Prove that every normal subgroup of G is isomorphic to G, G1, G2, or the trivial subgroup.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried proving that the normal subgroups would have to be of the form Normal subgroup X Normal subgroup. However, that's false because, e.g., <(1,1)> is a normal subgroup of the Klein four-group.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the quotients ##(G_1\times G_2)/ G_1## and ##(G_1\times G_2)/ G_2##.

I tried looking at the 1st isomorphism theorem with φ: (projection onto G1), but I didn't get anywhere. Clearly the quotient groups that micromass gives are homomorphic to the simple groups ... But how would that fact lead to the conclusion that no other subgroups can exist?

I feel like I could make more progress if I understood the difference that the "simple" requirement makes ...

So you have an isomorphism ##\varphi: (G_1\times G_2)/(G_1\times \{e\}) \rightarrow G_2##. Take a normal subgroup ##N## of ##G_1\times G_2##. Look at ##\varphi(N)##. Is this normal?

Related to Normal subgroups of a product of simple groups

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that satisfies the condition that for any element in the original group, the conjugate of the element by any element in the normal subgroup is also in the normal subgroup.

2. What is a product of simple groups?

A product of simple groups is a group formed by combining two or more simple groups using the direct product operation. A simple group is a group that has no proper nontrivial normal subgroups.

3. Why are normal subgroups important in the study of group theory?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in the structure and classification of groups. They allow for the creation of quotient groups, which are essential in understanding the properties and behavior of a group. Normal subgroups also help to identify the underlying simple groups in a product of groups.

4. Can a normal subgroup be a simple group?

No, a normal subgroup cannot be a simple group. This is because a simple group by definition has no proper normal subgroups, and a normal subgroup is, by definition, a subgroup that is normal in the original group.

5. How can one determine if a subgroup of a product of simple groups is a normal subgroup?

To determine if a subgroup of a product of simple groups is a normal subgroup, one can use the normal subgroup test. This involves checking if the subgroup is closed under conjugation by any element in the original group. If it is, then the subgroup is a normal subgroup.