Normal-Tangential Coordinate for Ball Moving in Circle

In summary, the ball is traveling around a circular path on a horizontal circle table and is attached to a string that leads through a hole in the center. The ball's velocity has a normal component and its tangential component is tangent to the path.
bio667

Homework Statement

The problem is:

The ball B is traveling on a horizontal circle table. It is attached to the string that leads through a hole in the center of the circle. At the very beginning, the ball B is traveling around a circular path counter-clockwise, then the cord is pulled down through the hole with a constant speed. Sketch both polar coordinate and normal-tangential coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issues lie with understanding what the normal and tangential coordinates would be in this case.

Would Uθ and Ut be the same in this case? Also for the Un would it just be parallel to the axis in the center and go through the ball? Or am I thinking about this wrong and is it just a simple 2D circular motion still.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the normal and tangential coordinates are. Maybe you mean the tangential and normal components of velocity or acceleration?

If the string is pulled down (so the portion that goes from the hole to the ball gets shorter) the ball will move towards the hole, so its velocity will have a normal component. What will happen to its tangential component? (here normal and tangential are to be understood as "to the trajectory")

Okay so if I'm drawing the normal and tangential coordinates with respect to the motion of the ball on the table, than the normal component Un should still point from the ball towards the center of the circle. My understanding for the tangential component Ut will be tangent to the path so can I therefore assume that the path is still a circle and therefore Ut will equal the polar coordinate Uθ?

Yes, I would say you can assume the path is still a circle, as long as the string doesn't get shorter very fast.

Transtutors001_86cbe336-76d9-4daa-b6e5-9a6119bfa21f.PNG

This is an image of the problem for posterity's sake.

Related to Normal-Tangential Coordinate for Ball Moving in Circle

What is a normal-tangential coordinate for a ball moving in a circle?

A normal-tangential coordinate is a way of describing the position of a ball moving in a circular path. It uses two perpendicular axes, one tangent to the circle and one perpendicular to it, to determine the ball's position at any given point in time.

How is a normal-tangential coordinate system used in physics?

In physics, a normal-tangential coordinate system is often used to describe the motion of objects in circular motion, such as a ball moving in a circle. It allows for the calculation of the object's velocity, acceleration, and other important parameters.

What is the difference between a normal coordinate and a tangential coordinate?

A normal coordinate is a line drawn perpendicular to the surface of the circle, while a tangential coordinate is a line drawn tangent to the circle's surface. Together, these coordinates form a two-dimensional coordinate system that can be used to describe the position of a ball moving in a circle.

How is the normal-tangential coordinate system related to polar coordinates?

The normal-tangential coordinate system is similar to polar coordinates, as both use a radial distance and an angular coordinate to describe the position of an object. However, in the normal-tangential system, the radial distance is related to the object's position on the circle, while in polar coordinates, it is related to the distance from the origin.

Can the normal-tangential coordinate system be used for other shapes besides circles?

Yes, the normal-tangential coordinate system can be used for any shape that has a curved path, such as an ellipse or a parabola. In these cases, the normal and tangential axes will vary depending on the shape of the path, but the same principles of using perpendicular axes to describe the position of the object still apply.