Normalization of ψ(x,0) - Can you tell me if my solution is correct?

So the final answer is A = 0.7071.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of normalizing ψ(x,0) by finding the value of A. The individual explains their method of solving the problem and double checks their solution, correcting it to A = 0.7071.
S_Flaherty
We are given ψ(x,0) = A[ψ1(x)+ψ2(x)] and for the first part of my homework problem it asks us to normalize ψ(x,0) (it says find A).

What I did was ∫|ψ(x,0)|^2 dx = 1 = (|A|^2)∫(ψ1^2 + 2ψ1ψ2 + ψ2^2)dx and since
∫ψm(x)*ψn(x)dx = 0 when m≠n and it equals 1 when m=n I can make the integral equal to
(A^2)(1 + 2(0) + 1) = 1 so A^2 = 1/2, so A = 1/4.

Did I solve this correctly or did I completely misunderstand what I was doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
S_Flaherty said:
We are given ψ(x,0) = A[ψ1(x)+ψ2(x)] and for the first part of my homework problem it asks us to normalize ψ(x,0) (it says find A).

What I did was ∫|ψ(x,0)|^2 dx = 1 = (|A|^2)∫(ψ1^2 + 2ψ1ψ2 + ψ2^2)dx and since
∫ψm(x)*ψn(x)dx = 0 when m≠n and it equals 1 when m=n I can make the integral equal to
(A^2)(1 + 2(0) + 1) = 1 so A^2 = 1/2, so A = 1/4.

Did I solve this correctly or did I completely misunderstand what I was doing?

No.

It's correct up to [itex]\displaystyle {\text{A}\!^2}= \frac{1}{2}\ .[/itex]

How do you solve for A after that?

SammyS said:
No.

It's correct up to [itex]\displaystyle {\text{A}\!^2}= \frac{1}{2}\ .[/itex]

How do you solve for A after that?

I just did the math wrong, I got A = 0.7071.

Related to Normalization of ψ(x,0) - Can you tell me if my solution is correct?

1. How do I know if my solution for ψ(x,0) is correct?

To check if your solution for ψ(x,0) is correct, you can compare it to the known solutions for the problem. You can also use mathematical techniques, such as plugging in your solution to the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation.

2. What does it mean for a solution to be normalized?

A normalized solution means that the integral of the squared magnitude of the solution over all space is equal to 1. This indicates that the probability of finding the particle at any point in space is equal to 1, which is a requirement for a valid solution.

3. Can you explain the importance of normalizing the solution for ψ(x,0)?

Normalizing the solution for ψ(x,0) is important because it ensures that the probability of finding the particle at any point in space is equal to 1. This is a fundamental requirement in quantum mechanics and without it, the solution would not accurately describe the behavior of the particle.

4. Is there a specific method for normalizing ψ(x,0)?

Yes, there is a specific method for normalizing ψ(x,0). This involves using the normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the squared magnitude of the solution over all space. By dividing the solution by this constant, the resulting solution will be normalized.

5. Can you provide an example of normalizing ψ(x,0)?

Sure, let's say the solution for ψ(x,0) is ψ(x,0) = Ae^(-x^2), where A is a constant. To normalize this solution, we first need to calculate the normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of |ψ(x,0)|^2 over all space. In this case, the integral is ∫|Ae^(-x^2)|^2 dx from -∞ to ∞. After solving this integral, we get √(π/A^2). To normalize the solution, we divide ψ(x,0) by this constant, giving us the normalized solution of ψ(x,0) = (π/A^2)^(-1/2) * Ae^(-x^2).