Normalized source function: physical interpretation

In summary: As you can see, at the surface (small ##\tau_{\nu}##), the normalized source function is close to 1, indicating an LTE state. As you move deeper into the medium, the normalized source function starts to deviate from 1 and approaches ##\sqrt{\epsilon}##, indicating a non-LTE state.In summary, the non-LTE case is characterized by a source function that is not equal to the Planck function and is affected by the coefficient ##\epsilon##. The LTE case is a special case of the non-LTE case where ##\epsilon=0##, and the source function is equal to the Planck function at all depths
fab13
Hello,

In physical radiative processes, I am studying the solution of the following equation :

##S=(1-\epsilon) J + \epsilon B##

with :

1) S the source function
2) J the mean intensity ( ##J=\dfrac{1}{2}\int_{-1}^{1} I_{\nu}\text{d}\tau_{\nu}##)
3) B the Boltzmann distribution
4) ##\epsilon## a coefficient
5) Below ##\tau_{\nu}## is optical depth

With Milne-Eddington approximation, we get : ##J=3K## (with K the seond moment of RTE (Radiation Transfer Equation)).

Moreover, we have : ##\dfrac{\text{d}K}{\text{d}\tau_{\nu}}=H\quad(1)## and ##\dfrac{\text{d}H}{\text{d}\tau_{\nu}}=J-S\quad(2)##

Taking these two equations (1), (2) and ##J=3K##, one has the following solution for J :

##J = J(\tau_{\nu}) = B - \dfrac{B}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}##

which implies :

##J = B \bigg[1-\dfrac{1}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg]##

So : ##S=(1-\epsilon) J + \epsilon B = J - \epsilon J + \epsilon B = B \bigg[1-\dfrac{1}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg] - \epsilon B \bigg[1-\dfrac{1}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg] + \epsilon B ##

##S= B \bigg[1-\dfrac{1}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}} + \dfrac{\epsilon}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg]##

##S=B\bigg[1-\dfrac{(1-\epsilon)}{1+\sqrt{\epsilon}}\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg]##

##S=B\bigg(1-(1-\sqrt{\epsilon})\,e^{-\sqrt{3\epsilon} \tau_{\nu}}\bigg)\quad(3)##

As a conclusion, It is asked to do a graphical representation of normalized source function S/B and to comment about non-LTE "law" that ##S \approx \sqrt{\epsilon} B## ?

I would like to know what graphical representation is expected for normalized function S/B and what can I comment about the equation I got ##(1)## and the "non-LTE" law that says : ##S \approx \sqrt{\epsilon} B## ??

I mean, I would like to correctly and physically interpret the result in (3) and do the link between "LTE" and "non-LTE" cases.

Could I say that :

1) If ##\tau_{\nu}## is small (at the surface), then I find the non-LTE case :

##S/B=\sqrt{\epsilon}\quad(4)##

2) If ##\tau_{\nu}## is large (i.e, large depth), then I find the Boltzmann case :

##S/B=1\quad(5)##

?

Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and interest in physical radiative processes. The equation you are studying is a common one in radiative transfer, and it is important to understand its implications and behavior. Your solution for J is correct, and it leads to a simplified expression for S. To answer your questions, I will first explain the significance of the LTE and non-LTE cases, and then provide a graphical representation of the normalized source function S/B.

LTE stands for Local Thermodynamic Equilibrium, which is a state in which the energy distribution of a system is determined only by its local temperature. In this case, the source function S is equal to the Planck function B at all depths. This is because in LTE, the radiation field is in equilibrium with the matter, and the matter is in thermal equilibrium. Therefore, the radiation field is described by the Boltzmann distribution, which is also the source function in this case. In other words, the LTE case is a special case of the non-LTE case where ##\epsilon=0##.

In the non-LTE case, the source function S is not equal to the Planck function B, and it is affected by the coefficient ##\epsilon##. As you correctly pointed out, when ##\tau_{\nu}## is small (i.e. at the surface), the non-LTE case approaches the LTE case, and the source function S is approximately equal to the Planck function B. This is because at the surface, the radiation field is in equilibrium with the matter, and the matter is in thermal equilibrium, resulting in an LTE state. However, as you move deeper into the medium, the radiation field becomes more and more affected by the matter, and the non-LTE case deviates from the LTE case.

To graphically represent the normalized source function S/B, you can plot it as a function of ##\tau_{\nu}##. This will show you the behavior of the source function at different depths. In the LTE case, the normalized source function is equal to 1 at all depths, as S=B. In the non-LTE case, the normalized source function will initially approach 1 at the surface, but as you move deeper into the medium, it will start to deviate from 1 and approach ##\sqrt{\epsilon}##. This behavior is shown in the graph below:

[Graph showing the behavior of the normalized source function S/B as a

Related to Normalized source function: physical interpretation

What is the meaning of "Normalized source function" in physics?

The normalized source function is a concept in physics that describes the ratio between the emission and absorption of radiation in a system. It is a measure of how efficiently a system emits radiation, and it is often used to study the properties of stellar atmospheres and other astrophysical systems.

How is the normalized source function calculated?

The normalized source function is calculated by dividing the emission coefficient by the absorption coefficient at a specific wavelength. This provides a relative measure of the efficiency of radiation emission in a given system.

What is the physical interpretation of the normalized source function?

The physical interpretation of the normalized source function is that it represents the balance between the emission and absorption of radiation in a system. A high value indicates a strong emission, while a low value indicates a strong absorption.

What are the units of the normalized source function?

The units of the normalized source function depend on the units of the emission and absorption coefficients. In general, it is a dimensionless quantity, but it can also be expressed in terms of energy or flux density, depending on the specific system being studied.

What is the significance of the normalized source function in astrophysics?

The normalized source function is a crucial tool in astrophysics as it allows scientists to study the properties of stellar atmospheres and other systems. By analyzing the variations in the normalized source function, researchers can gain insights into the physical processes at work in these systems, such as energy transfer and ionization.