Normalizing a wave function and calculating probability of position

In summary, the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave functionwhere the stationary states are described by a wave function In summary, the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave function where the stationary states are described by a wave function.
Emspak
Forgive me if this goes in elementary physics, but I think since it's an upper level undergrad class

Homework Statement

A state of a particle bounded by infinite potential walls at x=0 and x=L is described by a wave function [itex]\psi = 1\phi_1 + 2\phi_2 [/itex] where [itex]\phi_i[/itex] are the stationary states.
a) Normalize the wave function.
b) What is the probability to find the particle between x=L/4 and x=3L/4?

Homework Equations

OK so was looking at how to approach this. One thought was to start with Schrödinger's equation

[itex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\psi(x,t)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We have a situation where V(x) = 0 0 < x < L and V(x) = infinity outside of that. SO the V(x) term for inside the well disappears (it's zero).

And Energy, [itex]E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}[/itex] where k is a constant, in this case 1.

That leaves us with a partial differential equation

[itex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

which, moving it around a little,

[itex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = 0 [/itex]

and that's a 2nd order differential equation. The solutions are

[itex]\psi(x,t) = [A \sin(kx) + B \cos(kx)] e^{-i\omega t}[/itex]

k is a wavenumber and for this to work -- for it to be zero when x is greater than L or less than 0, and some value anywhere else, the cosine term has to go, and since the wavenumber is limited to nπ/L (that's the only way you get an integral number of waves) So I should end up with

[itex]\psi(x,t) = [A \sin(k_nx)] e^{-i\omega_n t}[/itex]But I am not entirely sure why the cos term has to go; I feel like I am missing a step. Either way, the probability of the particle being at any point from 0 to L is 1. So I need to integrate the wave function squared over that interval:

[itex]\int^L_0 |[A \sin(k_nx)] e^{-i\omega_n t}|^2 dx[/itex]

but that's the thing, I feel like I have lost the plot with this.

ANother way to approach it was to assume that the wave function given can be

[itex]\psi = 1\phi_1 + 2\phi_2 [/itex]
[itex]\psi = (1\phi_1 + 2\phi_2)(1\phi_1^* + 2\phi_2^*)[/itex]

and then multiply this out
[itex]\psi = (1\phi_1^* \phi_1 + 2\phi_1 \phi_2^* + 2\phi_1^* \phi_2 + 4\phi_2^*\phi_2)[/itex]

SInce the phi functions are eigenvalues, the ones on the diagonal of the matrix are the only ones not zero. So we get
[itex]\psi = (1\phi_1^* \phi_1 + 4\phi_2^*\phi_2) = (1 + 4) [/itex]

because the complex conjugate of a function multiplied by a function is 1.

Tht makes the whole thing add up to five. and since the probability of finding the particle on the interval 0 to x is

[tex]\int^L_0 |\psi|^2 dx = 1 \rightarrow \int^L_0 |5|^2 dx = 1 \rightarrow 25x = 1[/tex]

so x = 1/25 for the whole interval, so normalizing the wave function I should get

[itex]\psi = \frac{1}{25}\phi_1 + \frac{2}{25}\phi_2 [/itex]

and for the probability that the particle is at L/4 and 3/4 L

(25/4)^2 and (75/4)^2

Now, if someone could tell me where I am getting lot and doing this completely wrong :-)

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the original question you state that the wave function is "=11+22, where are the stationary states" are those boxes a mistake?

try it now...

Related to Normalizing a wave function and calculating probability of position

1. What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is the process of adjusting the amplitude of a wave function so that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. This ensures that the wave function is a valid representation of the particle's position.

2. How is the normalization constant calculated?

The normalization constant is calculated by taking the square root of the integral of the absolute value squared of the wave function over all possible positions. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle is equal to 1.

3. What is the importance of normalizing a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the wave function accurately describes the probability of finding a particle in any location. It also allows for the calculation of other important quantities, such as the expectation value and standard deviation.

4. How is the probability of finding a particle at a specific position calculated from a wave function?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific position is calculated by taking the absolute value squared of the wave function at that position. This gives the probability density at that position, and to find the actual probability, this value is multiplied by the small interval of position.

5. Can a wave function be normalized to a value other than 1?

No, the normalization constant must be calculated so that the total probability of finding the particle is equal to 1. Normalizing to any other value would result in an incorrect representation of the particle's position probability distribution.