Not getting right answer in force problem

• Thread starter sharpnova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Newton's second law to a problem involving a 100 kg object being accelerated by a force of 10,000 N. The individuals in the conversation use different interpolating functions and equations to solve the problem, with some mentioning the relevance of dark matter and others emphasizing the simplicity of using F=ma. The conversation ends with a reminder to not consider dark matter when learning physics at this level.
sharpnova

Homework Statement

A 100 kg object is accelerated by a force of 10,000 N. What is the acceleration of the object caused by the force?

Homework Equations

F_N = m * u(a / a_0) * a
a_0 = 1.2 * 10^-8 cm / s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using u(a / a_0) = 1 / (1 + a_0 / a) as my interpolating function.

This gives F_N = m * a / (1 + a_0 / a)

10,000 N = (100 kg) * a / (1 + (1.2 * 10^-8 cm/s^2) / a)

10,000 N / 100 kg = a^2 / (a + (1.2 * 10^-8 cm/s^2))

a^2 - (10,000 N / 100 kg) * a - (10,000 N / 100 kg) * (1.2 * 10^-8 cm/s^2) = 0

Applying quadratic formula:

a = ((10,000 N / 100 kg) +/- sqrt((10,000 N / 100 kg)^2 + 4*(10,000 N / 100 kg)*((10,000 N / 100 kg) * (1.2 * 10^-8 cm/s^2)))) / 2

Which comes out (cleanly I might add) to a number slightly smaller than 100 m/s^2: 99.999999988 m/s^2
This was the query I gave Google for calculating this: "(100 + sqrt(10000 - 4 * (1.2 * 10^-6))) / 2"

The answer in the book is 100 m /s^2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem does not need any complicated analysis .

What well known formula links Force , Mass and Acceleration ?

Milgrom's law?

I am using the simplest interpolating function and the generally agreed upon acceleration constant.

Newton's Law's ?

Which one is relevant to this problem ?

I would assume his law about force which is incorrect but was corrected in 1983.

The teacher (10th grade) hasn't done a very good job of teaching. His method is to give us problems and ask us to research how to find the answer. I researched force and read about the correct model for Newtonian dynamics.

It bugs me that the answer I'm getting is so close to the one in the book.

I also tried it with the standard interpolating function: (1 + x^2) ^ (-1/2) and still got an answer that is slightly different from the book's.

There is nothing to interpolate .

What is the common formula definition of Newton's second Law ?

Force = the derivative of momentum with respect to time

Which of course as any school child knows, falls apart completely due to dark matter.

You obviously know more than me . I give up .

I highly doubt that. I'm just a kid and I'm not that into science and definitely not very good at it. But thank you anyway, Nidum.

sharpnova said:
I'm using u(a / a_0) = 1 / (1 + a_0 / a) as my interpolating function.

Just use the equation: F=MA. Simple algebra will give you the correct answer very quickly. No need for interpolating.

Isn't that idealized...? I think that would only work in a universe that did not have a dark matter component.

Dark matter has absolutely nothing to do with this problem. Forget about it.

What do you mean?

It took a long time for us to realize that Newton's laws arent perfect because other effects are small - so safe to ignore in many cases.

In this case it really is as simple as using F=ma.

I mean that you need to completely forget about dark matter when learning physics at this level. No one on Earth takes dark matter into account when building bridges, planes, or anything else. The only possible time you would need to consider it is if you were an astrophysicist or some other scientist working directly in a field investigating dark matter.

PS It's a long time since I was at school but Newton's laws were good enough to solve all the problems I was set until I was over 18 years old.

Likes Biker
sharpnova said:
Milgrom's law?
Don't use Milgroms law. This is a question about Newton's 2nd law, not Modified Newtonian Dynamics.

Thread closed

FAQ: Not getting right answer in force problem

1. Why am I not getting the right answer in a force problem?

There could be several reasons why you are not getting the right answer in a force problem. Some possible reasons include making a calculation error, using the wrong formula or not considering all the forces acting on the object. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for the specific situation.

2. How can I improve my understanding of forces to get the right answer?

Improving your understanding of forces involves practice and familiarizing yourself with the different types of forces, their properties, and how they interact with objects. It is also helpful to review and understand the basic principles of Newton's laws of motion and how they apply to different scenarios.

3. Is there a specific method or approach to solving force problems?

Yes, there are several methods and approaches to solving force problems. One common method is to draw a free-body diagram, which involves identifying all the forces acting on an object and representing them as arrows. Another approach is to use vector addition to determine the net force acting on an object.

4. What should I do if I am still not getting the right answer after trying different approaches?

If you are still not getting the right answer after trying different approaches, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They can provide guidance and help identify any mistakes or misunderstandings that may be causing the incorrect answer.

5. How important is it to consider all the forces in a problem to get the right answer?

Considering all the forces in a problem is crucial in getting the right answer. Forces can cancel each other out or work in different directions, and neglecting any force can result in an incorrect answer. It is essential to carefully analyze and identify all the forces present in a problem before attempting to solve it.

Back