Not Understanding This Simplification

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of transforming the equation x \frac{dy}{dx}+x^2y+y=0 into the form \frac{dy}{dx}+(x+\frac{1}{x})y=0. The individual was confused about why the y term on the right side of the equation was not divided by x as well. The expert summarizer clarified that the equation must be multiplied by 1/x to get it in the correct form.
snowJT
I feel dumb because I can't see how you get from this:

[tex]x \frac{dy}{dx}+x^2y+y=0[/tex]

to this

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+(x+\frac{1}{x})y=0[/tex]

this is what I would of thought it would be...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+(x+\frac{y}{x})+\frac{y}{x}=0[/tex]

no?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it should be [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+(x+\frac{y}{x})+\frac{y}{x}=0[/tex]?

Divide the original equation by x; what do you get?

Factorize [itex]x^{2}y+y[/itex] in the simplest manner.
What do you get?

cristo said:
Why do you think it should be [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+(x+\frac{y}{x})+\frac{y}{x}=0[/tex]?

Divide the original equation by x; what do you get?

you get [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+(\frac{x^2}{x}+\frac{y}{x})+\frac{y}{x}=0[/tex]

arildno said:
Factorize [itex]x^{2}y+y[/itex] in the simplest manner.
What do you get?

you get [tex]\frac{x^2}{y}+1[/tex]

No, you don't.

What does it mean to FACTORIZE?

[tex]y(x^2+1)[/tex]

oh I see now... thanks

but why are you not dividing the y that's on the most right side of the LHS by x?

So, you have now your diff.eq in the form:
[tex]x\frac{dy}{dx}+(x^{2}+1)y=0[/tex]
Multiply this equation with 1/x; what do you get?

sorry, I see it now... I'm just really bad at these things...

FAQ: Not Understanding This Simplification

What is "Not Understanding This Simplification"?

"Not Understanding This Simplification" refers to a lack of comprehension or confusion about a concept or idea that has been simplified in some way.

Why is it important to understand simplifications?

Understanding simplifications allows for easier communication and comprehension of complex ideas. It also helps to break down information into more manageable chunks, making it easier to learn and remember.

What are some common reasons for not understanding simplifications?

Some common reasons for not understanding simplifications include a lack of prior knowledge or background, difficulty grasping abstract concepts, and different learning styles.

How can one improve their understanding of simplifications?

One can improve their understanding of simplifications by seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, seeking clarification from a teacher or mentor, and breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable pieces.

Are there any downsides to simplifications?

While simplifications can be helpful in understanding complex ideas, they can also oversimplify or leave out important details. It is important to critically evaluate simplifications and make sure they accurately represent the full concept.