Notation for marking the voltage drop in this picture

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for marking voltage on circuit diagrams and the assumption that the voltage drop refers to the two rightmost nodes. There is also a mention of standard conventions and notations for circuit diagrams.
LongApple

Homework Statement

When we write the V_0 on the right of the diagram as show below, between which two points does the voltage drop refer to? There are two nodes on the top correct? I am assuming the voltage drop refers to the two rightmost nodes.

I've tried to circle the nodes.

See this link:

http://i.imgur.com/kutasHe.png

Homework Equations

It's just a notation question.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not a homework problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
LongApple said:
I am assuming the voltage drop refers to the two rightmost nodes.
Good assumption.

Boy, what a lousy problem.

What is the rule for the notation in general?

Is it common to just mark voltage as height on the paper as opposed to between specific nodes?

Are there standard conventions/notations for circuit diagrams? I'm certain there almost have to be. Are they universally applied? Not in the 50 odd years I've been deciphering them. Check NEMA, IEEE, Giaccaletto, Kaufman & Seidman, who else ...

Because it's written beside an element, I'd say in general a marked voltage will be the voltage across that element. Yes, in this case it follows that it's the potential difference between the rightmost nodes.

NascentOxygen said:
Because it's written beside an element, I'd say in general a marked voltage will be the voltage across that element.
And that element is the current generator. So the marked voltage is across it.

FAQ: Notation for marking the voltage drop in this picture

1. What is the purpose of marking the voltage drop in this picture?

The purpose of marking the voltage drop in this picture is to visually represent the decrease in voltage that occurs across a circuit element. This can help in analyzing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.

2. How is the voltage drop marked in this picture?

The voltage drop is typically marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of the current flow and a label indicating the amount of voltage drop in volts (V).

3. What does the voltage drop represent in an electrical circuit?

The voltage drop represents the amount of energy that is lost as the electric current flows through a circuit element, such as a resistor or a diode. It is a measure of the potential difference between two points in the circuit.

4. Why is it important to mark the voltage drop in a circuit?

Marking the voltage drop is important because it allows for easier analysis and troubleshooting of electrical circuits. It can also help identify any potential issues or malfunctions in the circuit.

5. Are there different notations for marking voltage drop in a circuit?

Yes, there are different notations for marking voltage drop in a circuit. Some common notations include using the symbol "V" for voltage and labeling the voltage drop with a subscript, such as VD. Other notations may use a symbol or abbreviation for voltage drop, such as "VD" or "ΔV". It is important to be consistent with notation within a circuit diagram for clarity.