Nuclear Bomb Explosions: Speed & Energy Release

In summary, nuclear reactions do not occur at the speed of light and nuclear explosions are a prompt supercritical process that can happen within microseconds. The yield of the explosion is determined by the number of fissions that occur before the fissile mass dissipates. The high concentration of energy in nuclear bombs is due to the fission-based triggers that initiate the explosion. Energy is released after the explosion occurs. In nuclear reactors, control rods are used to regulate the rate of reactions and prevent a runaway reaction.
Bison01
hey guys just a simple question, I think.

How fast does the nuclear fusion/fission reactions n explosion occur? Is it at the speed of light?

Will there be any energy release b4 the explosion, Or should only b after the explosion? I always thought the fission/fusion reaction cause it to explode then release energy.

Does the high concentration of energy in Nuclear bombs have something to do with the speed of its explosion? Does it mean the more concentrated the energy the faster it will explode logically?

Thnx in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear fission does not occur at the speed of light.

Nuclear explosions are an example of a prompt supercritical process that is rather unique. The prompt neutron lifetime is on the order 10-7 s, or 0.1 us.

There is a neutron source to get started, but once started the neutron multiplication occurs very rapidly - on the order of microseconds.

The yield is determined by how many fissions can occur before the fissile mass dissipates.

Thermo nuclear explosions are initiated by fission-based triggers, so there is a fission detonation before the thermonuclear detonation.

Thnx for the response

Its just that I read some site where it says the reactions occur n explode at hundred billionth of a second, I jus wanted to confirm it.

So I am guessing no energy should be released til after the explosion.

thnx for the additional info. good night. Peace.

Bison01 said:
Thnx for the response

Its just that I read some site where it says the reactions occur n explode at hundred billionth of a second, I jus wanted to confirm it.

So I am guessing no energy should be released til after the explosion.

thnx for the additional info. good night. Peace.

Each time a reaction happens it releases the same amount of energy. If you don't build it correctly, the warhead will get blown too far apart for any more fission to occur before you can reach a large explosion.

For example, in nuclear reactors they use radioactive materials to generate heat to power a steam turbine. The materials are carefully protected by control rods that absorb neutrons and keep them from initiating too many reactions at once and leading to a runaway reaction. Same effect as a nuclear bomb, but it's a controlled reaction instead.

Related to Nuclear Bomb Explosions: Speed & Energy Release

1. How fast does a nuclear bomb explode?

A nuclear bomb explosion occurs at incredibly high speeds, ranging from 3 to 10 times the speed of sound, or approximately 3,600 to 12,000 miles per hour.

2. What factors affect the speed of a nuclear bomb explosion?

The speed of a nuclear bomb explosion is affected by several factors, including the size and type of bomb, the altitude of the explosion, and the surrounding environment such as air density and wind speed.

3. How much energy is released in a nuclear bomb explosion?

Nuclear bombs release an immense amount of energy, with the most powerful bombs releasing an energy equivalent of over 10 million tons of TNT. This is known as the bomb's yield.

4. Can the speed and energy release of a nuclear bomb be controlled?

Yes, the speed and energy release of a nuclear bomb can be controlled through various design factors such as the amount and type of nuclear material used, as well as the shape and size of the bomb's core.

5. How do scientists measure the energy release of a nuclear bomb?

The energy release of a nuclear bomb is measured in terms of its explosive yield, which is typically reported in kilotons (kt) or megatons (Mt) of TNT equivalent. This is calculated using various methods such as blast measurements, seismic readings, and radiation detection.