Nuclear Engineering - Grad School R.O.I.?

In summary: The field is growing rapidly though, and with the advancements in technology and training, the shortage should start to lessen. There is currently a shortage of nuclear engineers due to retirements and low enrollment, but the field is growing rapidly and with the advancements in technology and training, the shortage should start to lessen.
Morbius said:
ZapperZ,

Yes - but do you know that our student in question isn't interested in "high energy"
physics?

nucdoc00 stated that he was interested in "...more fundamental research ...", which
could very well be "high energy" physics. You won't really find a "high energy" physics
department by name at a University. The field is taught - but it would be called
"nuclear physics" if not just "physics".

Maybe we both read the wrong thing. I read this post:

Your comments are helpful. In fact, the appeal of studying NE for me is in the nuclear physics (does that come off as sounding highly self-evident? ).

[my bold]

.. and draw the conclusion that this person is more interested in nuclear physics than nuclear engineering. High energy physics doesn't even enter the picture here, at least when I made my comments about RHIC and JeffLab.

One may not find "high energy physics" by "name" as an undergraduate major (nor can you find other sub-fields of physics), but you certainly go into a particular field when you go into graduate school. Unless I missed something, we ARE talking about graduate programs here, aren't we?

So - although nucdoc00 may say "nuclear physics" - he may very well mean what
is called "high energy" physics. I thought I'd present him with those options in case
that's what he really meant.

Er... since this is a "nuclear engineering" forum, if he really meant "high energy physics", then his aim is not only atrocious, he missed the whole planet, especially when there is clearly a forum dedicated to such a subject matter (high energy/particle physics) listed close to the top of the list. One has to make an effort to scroll down and find a "nuclear enginnering" forum.

Independent of what the primary mission of the lab is - there are ample opportunities
in related fields. If one is interested in "transport theory"; an application of which is
radiation shielding - then a student may find a challenging project developing the
calculational methods to do shielding calculations for the high energy physics
machines - even though shielding is not the primary mission of the machine.

And that is also not a high energy physics subject matter. The issue of shielding is usually taken up by "health physics". While high energy physicists and accelerator physicists need to know some kind of shielding, we have to refer to health physicists for our radiation safety training and requirements that conform to OSHA's standards. So neither nuclear physicists nor high energy physicists are experts in this.

Zz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From your "student in question"--

Let's see if I can clear this up succinctly for you gentlemen. No, I didn't mean "high energy physics", though I appreciate Morbius providing the options. Yes, I am pursuing graduate studies in nuclear engineering. This thread is titled "Nuclear Engineering - Grad School R.O.I?" I therefore don't believe I have put forth any "atrocious" aims or have missed any planets here, ZapperZ (was I just zapped??) Yes, I would have selected a different forum had that been my intent. Nuclear engineering involves nuclear physics, and I enjoy nuclear physics. I am not indicating any preference toward the field of nuclear physics over nuclear engineering. By "fundamental research" I mean research that is, well, more fundamental. Transport theory and radiation detection do sound interesting to me. And sufficiently fundamental. A PhD nuclear engineer who takes a job as a medical physicist and performs clinical research designing treatment protocols for oncology patients would not be doing what I would consider "fundamental" research. The same would apply to some of the commercial application/product driven type research (although not entirely). "Health physics" doesn't sound terribly interesting. Not sure about the fundamentality factor. I think my use of the word "fundamental" was misleading and vague in my original post. It very well could have been referring to high energy physics or any number of things.

Thanks for the lively and thoughtful responses.

nucdoc00 said:
Let's see if I can clear this up succinctly for you gentlemen. No, I didn't mean "high energy physics", though I appreciate Morbius providing the options. Yes, I am pursuing graduate studies in nuclear engineering. This thread is titled "Nuclear Engineering - Grad School R.O.I?" I therefore don't believe I have put forth any "atrocious" aims or have missed any planets here, ZapperZ (was I just zapped??)

I didn't think you had an atrocious aim, because I took it at face value that you WERE aiming for nuclear engineering/nuclear physics. I was just explaining to Morbius that it would be highly unlikely for someone to aim that poorly and missed a more obvious and relevant forum to end up in a nuclear enginnering forum.

However, it does appear that you misleading in indicating that you were more interested in the "nuclear physics" aspect. From what you have described, those areas are certainly more alligned with the nuclear engineering subject matter rather than nuclear physics. Again, if you look very closely at the specific content of a nuclear physics program and research subject matter, I don't think you'll find a match with what you wanted to do based on your description.

Zz.

Student_at_CUNY said:
Just curious, can I student who is pursuing a masters in computer science with a research emphasis on CFD. Be able to do research in the area of Nuclear Engineering?. My background is as Bs in Compsc-math with almost all the course for a separate degree in Physics.

Sounds like me except I want to get my MS in aerospace or mechanical. Can I also do research in NE?

Astronuc said:
Yes, and Yes! I think anyone doing engineering these days need a basic understanding of FEA and CFD, the latter being essentially applications of FEA to Fluid Mechanics/Dynamics.

Is it possible to find NE-related work doing lots of FEA and CFD?

nucdoc00 said:
I want theoretical, "hard core" stuff with plenty of math, physics, and computational work. My goal would be academics--research & teaching ideally.

Me too

Astronuc said:
I would recommend getting an MS degree in Nuclear Engineering if that is the discipline in which you will practice.

What area of interest in nuclear might also dictate where you go for grad school or work. Some places have strong programs in heat transfer and fluid mechanics,

what are some good grad programs in NE specializing in heat transfer and fluid mechanics? How are they used in NE? As I said earlier, is it possible to get my MS in aerospace or mechanical but then find a job in NE?

creepypasta13 said:
Sounds like me except I want to get my MS in aerospace or mechanical. Can I also do research in NE?

Is it possible to find NE-related work doing lots of FEA and CFD?

Me too

what are some good grad programs in NE specializing in heat transfer and fluid mechanics? How are they used in NE? As I said earlier, is it possible to get my MS in aerospace or mechanical but then find a job in NE?
Yes - for example here's a paper at an upcoming conference

Evaluating PWR Fuel Performance Using Vessel CFD Analysis
http://www.fuel.ans.org/fuel10/program/abstracts/17.html

FEM/FEA is heavily used in fuel design/analysis.

Basically components are designed with CAD/CAE system, and the components and assemblies are then passed to FEA/CFD codes for analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: