Nuclear Engineering in Australia

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of becoming a nuclear engineer in Australia, where there are no universities that offer a degree in nuclear engineering. Instead, the individual would have to obtain a degree in mechanical engineering or science and then pursue a Masters in Nuclear Engineering at UNSW. This may put them at a disadvantage when competing for jobs with others who hold a full degree in Nuclear Engineering. However, the expert believes that having a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Nuclear Engineering would still make them a competitive candidate in the job market.
Sarrum
I am currently in Grade 10 in Australia and wish to pursue a career as a Nuclear Engineer. And unfortunately, there are no universities in Australia that offer Nuclear Engineering as a degree. Instead, I would have to obtain a degree in any other form of engineering (Mechanical) or science, then study a Masters in Nuclear Engineering at UNSW. So I would end of with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and a Masters in Nuclear Engineering.

To get a job in this field, I would have to work overseas where I am competing for jobs with others who hold a degree in Nuclear Engineering, whereas, I would only have a masters.

Would I be at any disadvantage when it comes to being hired by companies because I would have a masters, and others would have full degrees?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarrum said:
I am currently in Grade 10 in Australia and wish to pursue a career as a Nuclear Engineer. And unfortunately, there are no universities in Australia that offer Nuclear Engineering as a degree. Instead, I would have to obtain a degree in any other form of engineering (Mechanical) or science, then study a Masters in Nuclear Engineering at UNSW. So I would end of with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and a Masters in Nuclear Engineering.

To get a job in this field, I would have to work overseas where I am competing for jobs with others who hold a degree in Nuclear Engineering, whereas, I would only have a masters.

Would I be at any disadvantage when it comes to being hired by companies because I would have a masters, and others would have full degrees?
Thanks

What do you mean "full degrees", Kemosabe?

Sarrum said:

Thanks

The way nuclear engineers degrees are set up, they're essentially more specialized versions of mechanical engineering (adding courses like reactor physics and whatnot); lots of mechanical engineers become nuclear engineers; I don't think a BS ME and a master in NE would hurt you in the job market.

clope023 said:
The way nuclear engineers degrees are set up, they're essentially more specialized versions of mechanical engineering (adding courses like reactor physics and whatnot); lots of mechanical engineers become nuclear engineers; I don't think a BS ME and a master in NE would hurt you in the job market.

Thanks. I was just worried that employers would pick those with a N.E. degree over one with a BS ME and a Masters in NE

Related to Nuclear Engineering in Australia

What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear processes and radiation in various industries, such as power generation, medicine, and research. It involves designing, constructing, and operating nuclear reactors, as well as developing methods for the safe disposal of radioactive waste.

Are there any nuclear power plants in Australia?

No, currently there are no nuclear power plants in Australia. Nuclear power has been banned in the country since the 1998 Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, which prohibits the construction or operation of nuclear power plants.

What are the potential benefits of nuclear energy in Australia?

Nuclear energy has the potential to provide a reliable, low-carbon source of electricity in Australia. It also has the potential to reduce the country's reliance on fossil fuels and contribute to meeting its emissions reduction targets. Additionally, nuclear power plants can create jobs and stimulate economic growth.

What are the risks associated with nuclear energy?

The main risks associated with nuclear energy include the potential for accidents and the disposal of radioactive waste. Nuclear accidents can have serious consequences for both human health and the environment. Proper management and disposal of radioactive waste are crucial to prevent contamination and harm to living organisms.

Is Australia considering lifting the ban on nuclear power?

There have been discussions and debates about lifting the ban on nuclear power in Australia in recent years. However, there is currently no official government policy to do so. The decision to lift the ban would require a thorough assessment of the potential risks and benefits, as well as consideration of public opinion and support.