Nuclear Physics(Semi Empirical Mass Formula)

In summary, the question asks for the use of the Semi Empirical Mass Formula (SEMF) to estimate the energy released in the spontaneous fission reaction of 235/92 Uranium into 87/35 Bromine, 145/57 Lanthanum, and 3 neutrons. The equations used were Δm = m(reactants) - m(products), E = mc^2, and u = atomic mass unit. The atomic masses used were 235.043929 u for Uranium, 86.920711 u for Bromine, 144.921765 u for Lanthanum, and 1.009 u for neutrons. The resulting Δm was calculated to be 2.192
Catty
1. Question : Use the Semi Empirical Mass Formula to estimate the energy released in the spontaneous fission reaction;

235/92 Uranium -----> 87/35 Bromine + 145/57 Lanthanum + 3n

2. Equations used :

(i). Δm = m(reactants) - m(products)
(ii). E = mc^2
(iii). u = atomic mass unit
3. Attempt to solution:

atomic mass for 235/92 U = 235.043929 u
" " " 87/35 Br = 86.920711 u
" " " 145/57 La = 144.921765 u
" " " 1/0 n = 1.009 u

thus, Δm = m(reactants) - m(products)
= 235.043929 - (86.920711 + 144.921765 + (3*1.009))
= 2.19245u

apply E = mc^2 = 2.19245u * (931.5 Mev/c^2)/u = 2043MeV

4. Problem:

i'm not sure if I'm answering the question right since it says "use the SEMF" , but this is how i am calculating the energy so far. Is this how i use the SEMF to calculate the energy, if not, how should the SEMF appear in the calculations? please kindly help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to estimate the nucleon masses with the SEMF instead of looking them up.

I get a different result for 235.043929 - (86.920711 + 144.921765 + (3*1.009)).

thank you.

FAQ: Nuclear Physics(Semi Empirical Mass Formula)

1. How does the Semi Empirical Mass Formula predict nuclear stability?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula uses the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus to predict its stability. It takes into account the binding energy of the nucleus, which is the energy required to break it apart into individual nucleons. A higher binding energy indicates a more stable nucleus.

2. What are the main parameters used in the Semi Empirical Mass Formula?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula uses four main parameters: the volume term, surface term, Coulomb term, and asymmetry term. These terms take into account the nuclear volume, surface tension, electrostatic repulsion between protons, and the imbalance of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, respectively.

3. How accurate is the Semi Empirical Mass Formula?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula is a simplified model and therefore is not always accurate. It can accurately predict the stability of most nuclei, but it may not be as accurate for very heavy or very light nuclei. More complex models, such as the Shell Model, are used to predict the properties of these nuclei.

4. Can the Semi Empirical Mass Formula be used to predict nuclear reactions?

No, the Semi Empirical Mass Formula is only used to predict the stability of nuclei. It cannot be used to predict or explain nuclear reactions, which involve the interactions and transformations of individual particles within the nucleus.

5. How does the Semi Empirical Mass Formula account for nuclear binding energy?

The Semi Empirical Mass Formula uses the concept of nuclear binding energy to predict nuclear stability. It takes into account the energy released when nucleons are bound together in a nucleus, which contributes to the overall stability of the nucleus. The higher the binding energy, the more stable the nucleus.

Back