Nuclear Scattering Applets - Potential & Plane Wave Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding nuclear reactions and the search for applets that can help with visualizing and understanding scattering and partial wave expansion. The use of simulations and applets for gaining a physical intuition is also mentioned.
cristian1500
Hello

I have trouble understandig nuclear reactions. Does anyone know some good scattering applets on a potential(of arbitrary shape;not 1D).

I am interested also in discussing partial wave expansion. And if there exists an applet to show me how can I approximate a plane wave with spherical ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hy,

why do you concentrate on simulation applets ? You have a specific calculation goal ? MC simulations are usually quite heavy, thus it is uncommon to refer to them as "applet" :wink:

With an applet I can feel much better the physics.
I found for example this simulation
http://www.numathics.com/arens/scattering/ssObst.html

The actual calculation is done with DWBA, but in order to understand how DWBA works I must have a physical intuition prepared.

Oh yes, I agree that applets are very convenient to get a physical sens of what is going on. In the case of optics/electromagntism (which I am not an expert) the equations are failry simple and fast applets can be written down. But in the case of many-body nuclear interactions, I do not expect that you will find such an applet. I might be wrong, and I am aware of being of very little help :biggrin:

FAQ: Nuclear Scattering Applets - Potential & Plane Wave Expansion

1. What is nuclear scattering?

Nuclear scattering is a phenomenon in which a projectile interacts with a target nucleus, resulting in a change in direction and/or energy of the projectile. This process is used to study the structure and properties of atomic nuclei.

2. What is the purpose of using applets for nuclear scattering?

Applets are interactive computer programs that can simulate nuclear scattering experiments. They allow scientists to visualize and analyze the scattering process, making it easier to understand and interpret the results of experiments.

3. How does the potential affect nuclear scattering?

The potential refers to the forces between the projectile and the target nucleus. It affects the trajectory of the projectile, as well as the probability of scattering at different angles. By varying the potential, scientists can study the effects of different forces on nuclear scattering.

4. What is the plane wave expansion method?

The plane wave expansion method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the scattering amplitude, which describes the probability of a projectile scattering at a particular angle. It involves expanding the incident and scattered waves in terms of plane waves, and solving for the coefficients using boundary conditions.

5. How can nuclear scattering be used to study nuclear structure?

By analyzing the scattering data, scientists can determine the size, shape, and internal structure of atomic nuclei. This information can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter, such as the strong nuclear force and the nature of nuclear interactions.