Null matrix can be an idempotent matrix?

• Thread starter gianeshwar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that a null matrix is idempotent and the definition of the term "idempotent". It is clarified that any square zero matrix is idempotent, but not all zero matrices are idempotent since A^2 may not be defined. The conversation also touches upon the topic of B^2 not always being equal to I when B = I-A and A is idempotent. The conversation ends with a note about using proper math notation.
gianeshwar
Friends!
Is there anything wrong in the statement"A null matrix is idempotent".

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gianeshwar said:
Friends!
Is there anything wrong in the statement"A null matrix is idempotent".
What do you think? How is the term "idempotent" defined?

A square equal A. So if A is zero matrix then it satsfies this condition.

gianeshwar said:
A square equal A. So if A is zero matrix then it satsfies this condition.
Any square zero matrix A is idempotent, since A2 = A. So, in regard to your question in the first post, not all zero matrices are idempotent, since A2 might not be defined. For example,
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}$$

Thank You.Doubt had arisen while showing B square not equal to I to be not always true when given B equal I minus A and A is idempotent.

gianeshwar said:
Thank You.Doubt had arisen while showing B square not equal to I to be not always true when given B equal I minus A and A is idempotent.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Writing an equation would make it clearer.

Are you saying that B = I - A, and A is idempotent? And you need to show that B2 ≠ I?

If so, that's easy to show -- just expand B2 = (I - A)2.

I needed to show that( B squarenot equai to I) is not always true.

gianeshwar said:
I needed to show that( B squarenot equai to I) is not always true.
Like I said in my previous post, this is easy to do.

Also, please take some time to learn how to write proper math notation. To indicate the square of something, at the very least you can write B^2. Better yet, write the exponent as a superscript, like this: B2. The x2 icon in the menu bar can be used to write exponents of all kinds. The ##\Sigma## icon in the menu bar has many math symbols, such as ≠ and ∞ and many others.

Thank You Mark44 for the valuable help and suggestions!

gianeshwar said:
Thank You Mark44 for the valuable help and suggestions!
You're welcome!

Related to Null matrix can be an idempotent matrix?

What is a null matrix?

A null matrix is a matrix where all of its elements are zero. It is also known as a zero matrix or a matrix of zeros.

What is an idempotent matrix?

An idempotent matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in the same matrix. In other words, the matrix remains unchanged after being multiplied by itself.

Can a null matrix be an idempotent matrix?

Yes, a null matrix can be an idempotent matrix. This is because when a null matrix is multiplied by itself, the resulting matrix will still be a null matrix.

What are the properties of an idempotent matrix?

Some properties of an idempotent matrix include:

• The matrix is square (same number of rows and columns).
  • The matrix is its own inverse.
  • The matrix is a projection matrix, meaning it projects vectors onto a subspace.

What are some real-world applications of idempotent matrices?

Idempotent matrices have various applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics. For example, in computer graphics, idempotent matrices are used to transform objects in 3D space. In economics, they are used to model fixed costs and production processes. In control theory, they are used to represent state transition matrices.