Number divided by something divided by something?

• Thread starter Hammad Shahid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dividing fractions and the fact that dividing by a fraction is equivalent to multiplying by the reciprocal of the fraction. It also explains how to rewrite a division expression as a multiplication expression and how to simplify it.
Hammad Shahid

Homework Statement

For example:
400x/(x/y)

Can also be written as:

400x
____
x
____
ySo now, the answer will be 400y, but my question is, how does “y” get to be multiplied by 400? (Why isn’t it 400 divided by “y”?) How would I undo it for it to not be in the numerator?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the denominator gets smaller, the quotient gets larger.
As y increases in size, the denominator gets smaller.

David Lewis said:
When the denominator gets smaller, the quotient gets larger.
Hmm... not what I was asking for. Let me see if I can rephrase it.

Here’s an ex of what I’m trying to say: https://imgur.com/a/WhnOo

You need to pay attention to the parentheses.

You have 400x divided by (x/y) so the x’s cancel leaving 400 / (1/y) which is the same as 400 * y

How do you get that answer by multiplying top and bottom by y.
Code:
400 * y      400*y
————————— = ————-
(1/y) * y      1

It's 4000J / 100J / 1oC

So in the denominator, we have 100J / 1oC (=100)

David Lewis said:
It's 4000J / 100J / 1oC

So in the denominator, we have 100J / 10C (=100)

You changed the problem by removing the parentheses to be (4000j / 100j) / 1c

I think the 100j per 1c is more of a unit of measure so that your answer will be in degrees c.

An analogous problem would be I travel for 100 kilometers at 25 km/hr hence it takes me 4 hours to make the journey.

Last edited:
Hammad Shahid said:
For example:
400x/(x/y)

Hammad Shahid said:
So now, the answer will be 400y, but my question is, how does “y” get to be multiplied by 400? (Why isn’t it 400 divided by “y”?)
Because dividing by a/b is defined to be the same as (i.e., equal to) multiplication by the reciprical of a/b. In other words, for your problem,
##\frac {400x}{\frac x y} = 400x \cdot \frac y x = \frac {400x y} x = 400y##

Likes Delta2 and jedishrfu
I see, thank you.
I don’t think I was ever really shown that in school, so I never thought about it that way. Is there a guide for practice/example of how this works?

Also, so this means if a problem is x/y/z , you cannot do (x/y)/z, right?

Oh I remember, it’s that one thing I learned from fifth grade I think. It’s when you divide a fraction by a fraction, it’s the same as multiplying the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second.
So in this case, if it’s 400x/x/y, we could put it as (400x/1) / (x/y), and rewrite it as (400x/1)*(y/x). Am I write about this?

Hammad Shahid said:
Also, so this means if a problem is x/y/z , you cannot do (x/y)/z, right?
Yes, you can do this. By the usual order of operations, and since both operations are division, you can do the first division, and then divide that by z.

So x/y/z is the same as
$$\frac{\frac x y}{z} = \frac x y \cdot \frac 1 z = \frac {x y}z$$

Edit: The last expression should be ##\frac x {yz}##

Hammad Shahid said:
Oh I remember, it’s that one thing I learned from fifth grade I think. It’s when you divide a fraction by a fraction, it’s the same as multiplying the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second.
Yes, that's right.
Hammad Shahid said:
So in this case, if it’s 400x/x/y, we could put it as (400x/1) / (x/y), and rewrite it as (400x/1)*(y/x). Am I write about this?
Yes, you are right. Note that "write' is an action you do with a pen or pencil.

Last edited:
Hammad Shahid said:

Homework Statement

For example:
400x/(x/y)

Can also be written as:

400x
____
x
____
ySo now, the answer will be 400y, but my question is, how does “y” get to be multiplied by 400? (Why isn’t it 400 divided by “y”?) How would I undo it for it to not be in the numerator?
Using LaTeX makes it clearer: your original expression ##400\, x /(x/y)## can be displayed as
$$\frac{400\, x}{ \displaystyle \frac{x}{y}} $$
This can also be written as
$$\frac{400 \,x}{x} \times \frac{1}{\displaystyle \frac{1}{y}} $$
or more clearly as
$$\frac{400 \,x}{x} \times \frac{1}{\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{y}\right)} ,$$
and
$$\frac{1}{\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{y}\right)} = y$$

Mark44 said:
Yes, you can do this. By the usual order of operations, and since both operations are division, you can do the first division, and then divide that by z.

So x/y/z is the same as
$$\frac{\frac x y}{z} = \frac x y \cdot \frac 1 z = \frac {x y}z$$

Oops:

$$ \frac{x}{y} \cdot \frac{1}{z} = \frac{x}{yz} \;\;!$$

The Classic Maple interface accepts "a/b/c" instead of "a/(b*c)"

Mark44 said:
Yes, that's right.
Yes, you are right. Note that "write' is an action you do with a pen or pencil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Oops:

$$ \frac{x}{y} \cdot \frac{1}{z} = \frac{x}{yz} \;\;!$$
Thanks for catching that, Ray. I have edited my earlier post.
Ray Vickson said:
The Classic Maple interface accepts "a/b/c" instead of "a/(b*c)"
Are you saying that Classic Maple treats a/b/c as if it were written a/(b * c)?
That's odd, since programming languages generally associate arithmetic operators at the same precedence from left to right, with a + b + c being interpreted as if written (a + b) + c, and a / b / c as if written (a /b) /c.

Mark44 said:
Thanks for catching that, Ray. I have edited my earlier post.
Are you saying that Classic Maple treats a/b/c as if it were written a/(b * c)?
That's odd, since programming languages generally associate arithmetic operators at the same precedence from left to right, with a + b + c being interpreted as if written (a + b) + c, and a / b / c as if written (a /b) /c.

Saying "a/b/c = a/(b*c)" is not odd at all; it is completely consistent with the usual priority rules, because (a/b)/c = a/(b*c).

However, the new Maple interface does not do that, because it immediately converts a typed a/b to ##\frac a b##; in other words, it would not even let a user write "a/b" on screen, and so would not even allow one to type in a/b/c on-screen---it would convert fractions immediately in real time to
$$\frac{a}{\frac{b}{c}}$$
However, a/b/c copied from a classical worksheet and pasted into the new interface would appear on-screen as "a/b/c" and would still evaluate as ##\frac{a}{bc}##, just the way it did in the classic interface. To get a/(b*c) in the new interface, one types a/b*c, and to get (a/b)*c one types a/b→*c, where → is the right-arrow key. The → key closes out a fraction or a power, putting one back on the previous input level. BTW: the new interface can be quite handy when one get used to it: entering ##a/(b+c)## is easy: just type a/b+c, because it starts off as ##\frac{a}{b \;\;\;}##, then waits for more input from the user. If one does not leave the fraction (by prsssing the →) then when one types the "+c" that immediately goes to the right of the "b" in the denominator. If one actually wants ##\frac{a}{b}+c## it needs "a/b →+c", which can be a bit annoying.

Ray Vickson said:
Saying "a/b/c = a/(b*c)" is not odd at all
I misspoke. It's early in the morning for me, and my brain isn't operating at full capacity yet. I must have been thinking of something like a/b*c, where some might interpret this to mean ##\frac a {b \cdot c}## and others as ##\frac a b \cdot c##.

The PEDMAS precedence rules aren't as clear as the precedence rules in programming languages, particularly C and languages derived from C. The programming precedence rules specify not only the precedence of all the operators, but also how the operators associate or group, for expressions that include multiple operators of of the same precedence level.

A mathematical expression such as a/b*c is ambiguous, based on several threads posted here in the past, but the same expression is crystal clear if parsed by a C or C++ compiler. Since the division and multiplication operators are at the same precedence level, and associate left-to-right, a C compiler would interpret a/b*c as if written (a/b) * c.

Related to Number divided by something divided by something?

What is the result of a number divided by something divided by something?

The result of a number divided by something divided by something is the same as dividing the number by the product of the two divisions. For example, if we have the equation 10 divided by 2 divided by 5, the result would be 10 divided by (2 x 5) which equals 1.

Is the order of operations important when dealing with a number divided by something divided by something?

Yes, the order of operations is important when dealing with a number divided by something divided by something. In the example above, if we changed the order to 10 divided by 5 divided by 2, the result would be 10 divided by (5 x 2) which equals 2.

Can a number divided by 0 divided by something be calculated?

No, a number divided by 0 divided by something cannot be calculated because division by 0 is undefined. This is because any number multiplied by 0 is equal to 0, so there is no unique answer to the division problem.

What happens when a negative number is divided by something divided by something?

When a negative number is divided by something divided by something, the result will depend on the order of operations. If the negative number is the first number in the equation, it will be treated as a negative divisor. If the negative number is the second or third number in the equation, it will be treated as a negative dividend. The result will also depend on the signs of the other two numbers involved.

Can a number divided by something divided by something be simplified?

Yes, a number divided by something divided by something can be simplified by combining the two divisions into one division. This means multiplying the divisor and the divisor of the second division. For example, 10 divided by 2 divided by 5 can be simplified to 10 divided by (2 x 5) which equals 1.