Number of 7-Card Hands With 5 Spades & 2 Hearts

• MHB
  • Thread starter Walker14
  • Start date
In summary, from a standard 52-card deck, how many 7-card hands have exactly 5 spades and 2 hearts?There are 100 such hands.
Walker14
From a standard 52-card deck, how many 7-card hands have exactly 5 spades and 2 hearts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Walker14 said:
From a standard 52-card deck, how many 7-card hands have exactly 5 spades and 2 hearts?

Hi Walker14,

Welcome to MHB! :)

What have you tried so far? With problems like this it is very useful to use combinations. You might have seen it written like this:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose k}\)

Jameson said:
Hi Walker14,

Welcome to MHB! :)

What have you tried so far? With problems like this it is very useful to use combinations. You might have seen it written like this:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose k}\)

Hi Jameson, Walker14 is a student of mine. This problem came up during tutoring and I had a brain fart - unfortunately we couldn't figure out where to start, as there was so many variables to deal with - not only figuring out how many ways there are to get spades, but also how to arrange 5 of them, and then the same with hearts...

Prove It said:
Hi Jameson, Walker14 is a student of mine. This problem came up during tutoring and I had a brain fart - unfortunately we couldn't figure out where to start, as there was so many variables to deal with - not only figuring out how many ways there are to get spades, but also how to arrange 5 of them, and then the same with hearts...

Hi Prove It,

Ok I'll give you what I think the answer is and if you agree then you can walk your student through it in more detail. :)

\(\displaystyle {13 \choose 5}{13 \choose 2}\)

There are 13 cards of each suit and for one of them we want 5, the other we want 2. Multiply these together for a 7 card hand

I see the ILS is answering so hopefully he can confirm my thoughts.

Hello, Walker14!

It's easier than you think.

From a standard 52-card deck, how many 7-card hands
have exactly 5 spades and 2 hearts?

Choose 5 from the available 13 spades: [tex]{13\choose5} = 1287[/tex] ways.

Choose 2 from the available 13 hearts: [tex]{13\choose2} = 78[/tex] ways.

Answer: [tex]\;1287 \times 78 \:=\:100,\!386[/tex] hands.

This had me in all sorts of trouble for a while, but I ended up realising that it is as simple as Jameson indicates. The number of arrangements is ${13 \choose 5}{13 \choose 2} = 100\,386$. In terms of probabilities, the chances of drawing such a hand from a 52-card pack are \(\displaystyle \frac{{13 \choose 5}{13 \choose 2}}{52\choose7} \approx 0.00075035565.\)

Opalg said:
This had me in all sorts of trouble for a while, but I ended up realising that it is as simple as Jameson indicates. The number of arrangements is ${13 \choose 5}{13 \choose 2} = 100\,386$. In terms of probabilities, the chances of drawing such a hand from a 52-card pack are \(\displaystyle \frac{{13 \choose 5}{13 \choose 2}}{52\choose7} \approx 0.00075035565.\)

These kinds of problems are either this easy or incredibly tedious. I pretty much always feel doubt with which ever way I go and I know that if it's not just multiplying some combinations together then I better set aside an afternoon to and grab a lot of paper.

Jameson said:
These kinds of problems are either this easy or incredibly tedious. I pretty much always feel doubt with which ever way I go and I know that if it's not just multiplying some combinations together then I better set aside an afternoon to and grab a lot of paper.

Of course, such problems are very tedious ... but put yourself in the shoes of, and I am one of them, every day for years had to solve in order to earn the salary! (Dull)...

First we look at the question as has been given by Walker 14 ...

From a standard 52-card deck, how many 7-card hands have exactly 5 spades and 2 hearts?...

The question is very simple and has nothing to do with probability and the answer is just as simple ...

$\displaystyle N= \binom {7}{5} = \binom {7}{2} = \frac{7 \cdot 6}{2!} = 21\ (1)$

If we want to tackle the problem in terms of probability must be taken into account then that is an extraction without replacement and therefore will be based on the hypergeometric distribution ...

$\displaystyle P = \binom {7}{5}\ \frac{13}{52}\ \frac{12}{51}\ \frac{11}{50}\ \frac{10}{49}\ \frac{9}{48}\ \frac{13}{47}\ \frac{12}{46} = .000750355646...\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you to all, it seems the wording of the problem was what threw us :)

Related to Number of 7-Card Hands With 5 Spades & 2 Hearts

What is the formula for calculating the number of 7-card hands with 5 spades and 2 hearts?

The formula for calculating the number of 7-card hands with 5 spades and 2 hearts is nCr * nCr, where n is the total number of cards in the deck (52) and r is the number of cards in the hand (7). In this case, it would be 13C5 * 13C2, which equals 1287 * 78 = 100,386 possible hands.

How do you calculate the probability of getting a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts?

To calculate the probability of getting a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts, you divide the number of possible hands with 5 spades and 2 hearts (100,386) by the total number of possible hands (133,784,560). This gives you a probability of approximately 0.000751% or 1 in 133,785.

Is it possible to get a hand with all 5 spades and 2 hearts?

Yes, it is possible to get a hand with all 5 spades and 2 hearts. This is known as a "flush" and has a probability of approximately 0.00116% or 1 in 86,884 hands.

How does the probability of getting a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts compare to other possible hands?

The probability of getting a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts is relatively low compared to other possible hands. For example, the probability of getting a straight (5 cards in sequential rank) is approximately 0.0039% or 1 in 25,829 hands, while the probability of getting a full house (3 cards of one rank and 2 cards of another rank) is approximately 0.1441% or 1 in 693 hands.

Does the order of the cards matter in a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts?

No, the order of the cards does not matter in a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts. As long as the hand contains 5 spades and 2 hearts, it is considered a hand with 5 spades and 2 hearts regardless of the order the cards are in.