Number of collisions with potential barrier

In summary, a group of radioactive atoms emits 2.0e18 alpha particles in one second. The transmission coefficient at the barrier is 1.0e-15, meaning that on average transmission occurs once every 10e15 collisions.
rickysio

Homework Statement

In a particular atom, an alpha particle makes N collisions with a potential barrier in each second. The transmission coefficient at the barrier is 1.0e-15. In one second, 2.0e18 alpha particles are emitted from a group of 3.0e23 radioactive atoms.

Find N.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Frankly, I have no idea. I don't need a near-solution - just a hint as to where I should start from?
I have figured out that total collisions in terms of N is 3.0e23N, but I've no idea what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the physical meaning of the transmission coefficient?

The probability for a particle to tunnel through the barrier?

Yup, so a transmission coefficient of [itex]1.0\times10^{-15}[/itex] means transmission occurs once every 1015 collisions on average.

Erm, it's not that I don't understand what a transmission coefficient signifies, but it's more of how do I know how many collisions do occur?

Out of the 3.0e23 + 2.0e18 = 3.0e23 particles, on average transmission occurs per 10e15 collision, so assuming that the radioactive particles do collide with the barrier similarly to an alpha particle, total collision is 3Ne23. So how do I find N? Sorry if I come across as being rude - this question has been gnawing at me for two days already.

Well, frankly, it's such a simple problem it's hard to say anything without just telling you what the answer is. You know how many alpha particles come out per second. That immediately tells you how many collisions per second must be occurring.

I got a value of 6.67e7, and I obtained it from -> 2e18 / (3e23 * 1e-15)

Is that right?

(Apparently I think too much for my own good. :X)

Yeah, except your final number is off by a factor of 100.

Ehh, translational error from GC screen to words. Thanks for the help!

FAQ: Number of collisions with potential barrier

1. What is the "number of collisions with potential barrier"?

The "number of collisions with potential barrier" refers to the number of times a particle or object collides with a potential barrier, which is a region of space with a higher potential energy compared to its surroundings. This phenomenon is commonly studied in physics and chemistry, as it can affect the behavior and properties of particles and systems.

2. How is the number of collisions with potential barrier calculated?

The number of collisions with potential barrier can be calculated using various mathematical models, depending on the specific scenario and variables involved. Generally, it involves considering the energy of the particles, the size and shape of the potential barrier, and the probability of collision at different angles and velocities.

3. What factors affect the number of collisions with potential barrier?

The number of collisions with potential barrier can be affected by several factors, including the energy and speed of the particles, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the presence of any other barriers or forces in the system. Additionally, the properties of the particles themselves, such as their mass and charge, can also influence the number of collisions.

4. Why is the study of number of collisions with potential barrier important?

The study of number of collisions with potential barrier is important because it can provide valuable insights into the behavior and interactions of particles in various systems. It is also essential for understanding and predicting the properties and dynamics of chemical reactions, as well as the behavior of particles in fields like nuclear physics and materials science.

5. Can the number of collisions with potential barrier be controlled?

The number of collisions with potential barrier can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the variables that affect it, such as the energy and speed of particles, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the presence of other forces. However, in many cases, it is a natural phenomenon that cannot be completely controlled. Scientists can only manipulate the conditions and observe the resulting number of collisions.