Number of injections, of functions

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: E (ex: ##E \rightarrow \mathbb{C},\ f(x) = \frac{1}{x},\ {\cal D}(f) = \emptyset## ). In summary, the number of injections from ##E \rightarrow F ##, ##E,F## finite sets, ## p = \#E ,\ n = \#F,\ p\le n ##, is ##\frac{n!}{(n-p)!} ##.Then, find the number of functions from ##E \rightarrow F ##.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Show that the number of injections from ##E \rightarrow F ##, ##E,F## finite sets, ## p = \#E ,\ n = \#F,\ p\le n ##, is ##\frac{n!}{(n-p)!} ##
Then, find the number of functions from ##E \rightarrow F ##.

Homework Equations

## A = \{ \text{injections from }E \rightarrow F \} ##
## B = \{ \text{arrangements of } p \text{ elements among } n \} ##
## C = \{ \text{functions from }E \rightarrow F \} ##
## D = (F \cup \{a\}) \times ...\times (F \cup \{a\})##, ## p ## times , ## a \notin F ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I have to solve this problem for my homework. It took me a while but I think I have found it. Is it correct ?

a) I want to prove that there is a bijection from ##A## to ##B## so that ##\# A = \#B = \frac{n!}{(n-p)!} ##.
I define the mapping ## h: A \rightarrow B ## by ## h(f) = (f(x_1),...,f(x_p)) ##.

We have ##h(f)\in B## because ##f## is injective.

##h## is injective because for all ##f,g\in A##, ## h(f) = h(g) \Rightarrow \forall i=1...p,\ f(x_i) = g(x_i) \iff f = g ##.

For any arrangement ##(y_1,...,y_p)\in B##, I define ##f## such that for all ##i = 1...p##, ## f(x_i) = y_i ##. Then ##f## is necessarily injective because if we had ## f(x_i) = f(x_j)## and ## x_i \neq x_j ##, then we would have ## y_i = y_j ##, which contradicts the definition of an arrangement. So ## f\in A ## and ##h## is a surjection.

So ## h ## is a bijection

b) Same kind of problem.
I define the mapping ## h: C \rightarrow D ## by ## h(f) = (y_1, ..., y_p)## where
\begin{equation}
y_i =
\left\lbrace
\begin{array}{ccc}
f(x_i) & \mbox{if} & x_i\in \cal D(f)\\
a & & \mbox{otherwise} \\
\end{array}\right.
\end{equation}

Injectivity is shown the same way as above.

For any tuple ##(y_1,...,y_p)\in D##, I define ##f## by ## f(x_i) = y_i \iff y_i \neq a ##. Clearly ##f## belongs to ##C## and h is surjective .

Then h is bijective and ##\# C = \#D = (\#(F \cup \{a\}))^p = (n+1)^p ## (because ##\{a\}## and ##F## disjoint)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) seems correct to me

b) You seem to also count the functions that have as domain any subset of E. Why you doing that? Otherwise the answer should be ##n^p##.

Hello, thank you for proofreading.
Concerning your question, the difference between a function ##f## and a mapping ##g## both from ## E \rightarrow F ##, is that ##{\cal D}(f)\subset E## while ##{ \cal D}(g) = E ##. There are functions that are not defined on ##E## entirely (ex: ##E = \mathbb{R},\ f(x) = \frac{1}{x},\ {\cal D}(f) = E - \{0\}## )

Related to Number of injections, of functions

1. How does the number of injections relate to the number of functions?

The number of injections is a subset of the total number of functions. Injections are functions that map each element in the domain to a unique element in the range, while a function can map multiple elements in the domain to the same element in the range. Therefore, the number of injections is always less than or equal to the number of functions.

2. How is the number of injections calculated?

The number of injections from a set with n elements to a set with m elements is calculated using the formula n!/(n-m)!. This is known as the number of permutations or the number of ways to choose m elements from a set of n elements, without replacement and with order being significant.

3. Why are injections important in mathematics?

Injections are important in mathematics because they help establish one-to-one correspondence between sets. This can be useful in proving the properties of sets and in solving problems that involve counting and probability. Injections are also used in many areas of mathematics, such as combinatorics, algebra, and topology.

4. How does the concept of injections apply in real-world scenarios?

Injections can be applied in real-world scenarios, such as counting the number of ways to arrange a deck of cards, choosing a committee of members from a larger group, or assigning tasks to employees. Injections also have applications in computer science, such as in database design and cryptography.

5. Can the number of injections ever be equal to the number of functions?

No, the number of injections can never be equal to the number of functions. This is because every injection is a function, but not every function is an injection. In order for the number of injections to be equal to the number of functions, every function would have to be an injection, which is not the case.