Number of Positive Integer Pairs for Perfect Squares

In summary, there are an infinite number of ordered pairs of positive integers $x$ and $y$ such that both $x^2+3y$ and $y^2+3x$ are perfect squares. Examples include (1,1), (2,4), (3,9), (4,16), and so on.
juantheron
the number of ordered pairs of positive integers $x,$y such that $x^2 +3y$ and $y^2 +3x$

are both perfect squares

my solution::

http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\hspace{-16}$Let%20$\bf{x^2+3y=k^2}$%20and%20$\bf{y^2+3x=l^2}$\\%20Where%20$\bf{x,y,k,l\in%20\mathbb{Z^{+}}}$\\%20$\bf{(x^2-y^2)-3(x-y)=k^2-l^2}$\\%20$\bf{(x-y).(x+y-3)=(k+l).(k-l)}$\\%20$\bullet\;\;%20\bf{(x-y)=k+l\;\;,(x+y-3)=k-l}$\\%20$\bullet\;\;%20\bf{(x-y)=k-l\;\;,(x+y-3)=k+l}$\\%20So%20$\bf{x=\frac{2k+3}{2}\notin%20\mathbb{Z^{+}}}$\\%20and%20$\bf{y=\frac{-2l+3}{2}\notin%20\mathbb{Z^{+}}}$\\

no possibilities.

but there is also more possibilities

like $(x-y).(x+y-3) = 1 \times (k^2-l^2) = (k^2-l^2) \times 1$

My Question is that is any pairs for which $x^2+3y$ and $3x^2+y$ are perfect square

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have $x^2+3y=(x+a)^2$ for some positive integer $a$ and similar for $y$ and some $b$. Express $x$ and $y$ through $a$ and $b$ and see when $x$ and $y$ are positive integers.

what about $(1,1)$?

jacks said:
the number of ordered pairs of positive integers $x,$y such that $x^2 +3y$ and $y^2 +3x$

. . . .

My Question is that is any pairs for which $x^2+3y$ and $3x^2+y$ are perfect square

Thanks
I think you just changed the question.

jacks said:
Of course; infinite:
...and on...

Related to Number of Positive Integer Pairs for Perfect Squares

1. What is the definition of a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it can be expressed as 3 x 3.

2. How many positive integer pairs can be found for a perfect square?

The number of positive integer pairs for a perfect square depends on the value of the square. For example, the perfect square 9 has two positive integer pairs: (1,9) and (3,3). However, the perfect square 16 has four positive integer pairs: (1,16), (2,8), (4,4), and (8,2).

3. Can any positive integer be a perfect square?

No, not all positive integers are perfect squares. A positive integer must have a whole number square root in order to be a perfect square. For example, 6 is not a perfect square because it does not have a whole number square root.

4. How can you find the number of positive integer pairs for a given perfect square?

In order to find the number of positive integer pairs for a perfect square, you can take the square root of the number and count the number of factors. For example, the perfect square 16 has a square root of 4, and it has four factors (1, 2, 4, 8). Each factor can be paired with its corresponding factor to form a positive integer pair.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the number of positive integer pairs for a perfect square?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the number of positive integer pairs for a perfect square. The formula is (n + 1)/2, where n is the number of factors of the perfect square. For example, the perfect square 16 has 4 factors, so (4 + 1)/2 = 2. Therefore, there are 2 positive integer pairs for the perfect square 16.